Do any of you caregivers suffer from mental illnesses?

I have depression and anxiety. I’ll finally be seeing a psychiatrist next week. Living with my dad does have an affect on my illnesses so one of my goals is to move out.

2 Likes

I do feel so much sadness often because of my family’s health and I do feel anxiety whenever they have psychotic episodes.

I really wish that you take good care of yourself and I hope you update us on how your appointments go

5 Likes

Yes, I have mental illnesses.

I’m glad you have a goal to move out, so your own health can improve with less stress.

1 Like

I personally don’t have any diagnosis.
I suspect that I have occasional skirmishes with depression since I was about in middle school, but it hasn’t ever stopped me from achieving goals.
So, I choose to keep in mind that as soon as I have trouble with liking myself, doing Wreklus things or spending time with the people close to me, I’ll check in with a doctor about it.
For now, my own coping techniques seem to be working. Based on the evidence, it must be very mild, or imagined.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. You take care of yourself, as well. I will keep you all updated :grinning:

1 Like

I have PTSD and I always get the winter blues…I see a therapist pretty regularly but the only thing I take as a supplement is an adaptogen called Ashwagandha which helps a lot with my reactions to stress.

1 Like

Please take care this winter. I’m glad you’ve found something that helps you with stress.

2 Likes

have some depression and it gets worse when my Son is symptomatic.
I do not take anything for it just vitamins like B12 and D3.
I try to walk and exercise and connect with friends when I feel very depressed.
Also, doing more work also helps me to distract my attention from the problem…

4 Likes

No, no known mental illnesses. I see my doctor regularly at the VA hospital (I am a vet), so if they thought I needed a psychologist/psychiatrist I’m sure I would be referred. I do have insomnia. I see a chiropractor and a nutritionist on occassion.

2 Likes

I take B12, D3 and Magnesium also and I think they help.

4 Likes

I have had depression most of my life. I was always able to manage and then after my second child , I started on anti depressants to be able to be a better parent. Now 20 yrs later I have a schizophrenic son, and my youngest now,17 is on Zoloft for anxiety and depression. I feel sad that I may have passed on these genetic markers. It makes me not want to a grandmother.

3 Likes

Update: I was prescribed prozac for my depression and anxiety. Will start taking it tomorrow.

1 Like

None before this :frowning: been on sertraline for 2.5 yrs though and it helps.

2 Likes

@fleetingrose
Hope the medication helps!
From what I understand, medicine often won’t do the whole job alone. Keep promoting your positive self-image, and remember that you definitely deserve to feel fulfillment, comfort and security on a daily basis!

3 Likes

I take meds for depression and it has really helped. In college, I had a psychotic break during finals week my sophomore year. I became extremely paranoid about everyone on my dorm floor and thought people were"ganging up" on me and stealing my things. My parents brought me home and took me to a psychiatrist for about a year and then I found a really good job and think my focus on that job is what saved me, honestly.

My daughter who is a junior right now made a comment to me the other day about being very moody and feeling funny. I am keeping a very close eye on her because she puts a lot of pressure on herself to achieve.

1 Like

Thank you! That’s true, I have to do my part as well.

1 Like

I’m glad they’ve helped you, and I hope that everything will be ok with your daughter.

No diagnosis other than ADD… but I have wondered if there might be more… my daughter and I are very similar (sometimes so much we are at odds with each other) we do tend to respond to things in similar ways… and I am not very good in social settings, often I am off by myself… . maybe that doesn’t really mean anything at all…

1 Like

As my afflicted unmedicated sister refuse to communicate with me and I face rejection on daily basis… I’ve been feeling mostly trouble breathing and chest tightness and nausea as I take care of them, their house and run their errands during my visit… It’s really very tough and taken a toll on me… I believe these are anxiety symptoms as I feel a tiny bit relieved whenever I go outside walking or
meet other people outside… my anxiety symptoms might also be accompanied by cigarettes smoking withdrawal symptoms, I’ve been smoking cigarettes for over a decade and decided to quit them right before my visit… I hate bad habits now as I value mental and physical health more than ever…

In the past until recently, whenever family visit times are up and I travel back home, I enjoy being back to my comfort zone instantly and I have lots of joy doing my own things and go out with my friends etc then I reach the time where I’m reminded of unwell family members then I switch back to symptoms of depression and anxiety…

I’m planning/trying to stay with my afflicted family members for one more month, I look forward to going back home after that but I’m fearing my happiness there won’t be complete as I battle the negative thoughts about unwell family and their choices not to medicate…

2 Likes

I have ADD, depression, anxiety and aspergers and my mom has paranoid schizo-affect disorder which is schizophrenia and bipolar. And I am so glad I found this site.

3 Likes