He hurts my feelings every single day

My son got ill five years ago at 16. We have had the worst time over these years and he had hospital admissions. He has been ok for last 12 months but in the last month decided to stop his medication. I can’t persuade him to change his mind and he is again becoming very mean to me. Being his Mum I have been the only one who has been there for him it breaks my heart when he says such cruel things. I know it’s the illness but I really hoped we were over the worst but it feels like I have to watch him deteriorate in slow motion! The mental health teams in UK don’t bother until it gets to crisis and then they act by sectioning them. So good to find this site. Reading your stories makes me feel less alone.

5 Likes

When I was younger, I asked my mother what my brother’s MI was all about. She said that he was (basically) “emotionally delayed”. I have found over the years that this explanation has helped me the most when my brother is very difficult to deal with…when his emotions are out of control and he is verbally attacking me. I try to think of him as a person with the emotions of a young child…who doesn’t understand or is able to react in a more appropriate way… who can’t identify / categorize / manage his emotions. If I remember that, it makes the worst episodes easier to “take”. It’s certainly not easy by any stretch of the imagination; especially in the moment. Deep breaths and lots of support!

4 Likes

I am so sorry, @BUDDY1999. I have had nearly a year of this with my husband - he restarted medication a month ago and is doing better but I am still feeling tense and on edge.

I agree with LizBeth1216. Despite a pretty late onset of symptoms, when my husband is symptomatic, he really does act like a child - to the point that he’ll start acting out when he’s tired like a toddler who is exhausted but doesn’t realize it and so starts throwing tantrums.

He is also pretty cruel to me when psychotic (a good guy when not), so it helps when I can see the humor of him almost literally acting like a huge baby.

1 Like

@BUDDY1999 I feel the same as you, without the caring knowledge always offered on this site, I would be totally, lost, alone and helpless, we can express our thoughts and fears knowing this “family” gets it… I come in here most days picking up great advice, not offered to us by others in our real lives…

wow, three new people in this thread, proves this SZ shit is contagious, lol, I have always preached proper planning on this forum, near term and far term goals for self preservation.

1. manage from a distance, attorneys ssd/ssi, full electronic control of finances, get them out, you get out, peace…
  2. daughter med resistant, sick 12 years, shooting h, 6 months out of state duel purpose facility, 9 round one flew over the coocoos nest ect, fixed relatively speaking, moved her and bf into apartment in another city…
  3. wife gone, sick 26 years, med resistant, I own two homes, weekends for me in the city, weeknights in my county fortress, complete video surveillance, I travel very frequently with gf and watch all from anywhere, celebrated 29 years of marriage this past December, fucked my gf twice that day
  4. I sleep in a fortified bedroom, 357 on night stand
  5. a million crazy stories, cool vids of the shit, served time with criminally insane, attempted murder, came out different, I think they nuked her, lol, ect
  6. get them out, trailer out back, apartment, group home, buy them a house
  7. you get out any way you can, fuck a rich man if necessary
  8. I have this shit mastered
  9. living my last few years fucking happy
  10. get a life, get a hobby…
1 Like

Reminds me of aspbergers…

Aspbergers?
Just highly curious that’s all…

No, just early trauma plus schizophrenia, I think.

I knew about the trauma but the psychotic symptoms sure came as a surprise. Still feels surreal, especially as I have a strong family history of schizophrenia but somehow did not expect to find it in my spouse. Feels like crappy luck for us both :frowning:

1 Like

What medications is she on?
@Itsastruggle

Thank you Vall! This helped me so much. I’ve used the timer method you suggested this weekend, and it’s helped me such a lot. I appreciate this forum so much. Helps me hold onto my sanity.

It was Abilify and Lexapro. Currently Vraylar.
@TheSunshineMaras

1 Like

I’m glad it helped you! This forum has provided me with so much information and support and understanding, all things us caregivers need a lot of.

1 Like

What does “sectioning” mean?

Greetings from snowy Vermont

this reminds me of something I read in “Schizophrenia: a blueprint for recovery” he explains how the sz is an emotional sponge and can pick up on the slightest mood of another person. Which then adds to their social anxiety, delusions, etc.

1 Like

I hear you. The littlest waver of emotion on my part is really abrasive and upsetting to him.
There are many topics I just stay away from.

Also, they are often “psychic”.
In Ancient TImes, they were shamans/holy people whose visions were listened to.

from Vermont
Be well and Healthy

1 Like

What can we learn from our crappy luck?

Blessings and Good Health
from VERMONT

Same frustration with the “professionals”.

Science struggles to understand this disease, too.