Homeless hopefully no more

Some of you may have read earlier posts where I described how my daughter had gone off meds and eventually become homeless. She had been out of contact and seriously delusional for about two years. I had made all effort to try and keep track of her through friends’ socially media accounts, Missing Person reports, friends of friends etc. And eventually a Private Investigator.
Last month a MP report gave me a location, a city. I went there immediately and with help from a Sheriff’s officer discovered she had been picked up even more recently on a 5150 and was right then in a crisis center. I immediately searched online to find out what place was likely to have her. Knowing my next move would involve HIPPA bullshit I handed my daughter’s comprehensive history to the guard and said “you don’t have to tell me if she’s here but if she is please give this to her doctors”
Update, despite HIPPA I have managed to discover where she is now and sent all her info by FAX to that residential hospital too. Now I’m sending “Care Packages” whether anyone will acknowledge her presence or not. I know she’s there and getting help. Hopefully if I can stay on this she’ll eventually com out of her delusions that I’m trying to kill her and go back to midwifery.
I’m posting this to encourage you all to remember that things can improve. I’ve been struggling with this break in contact from her and information about shelters etc. arrests for over three years, but now a big shift.

9 Likes

@Erica Wow!! Way to go and stick with it. You are an inspiration. Good luck in getting your daughter back!

1 Like

Wow! sounds like you’ve been at this for a while. The important thing is hopefully your daughter is getting the help she needs. I’m so sorry for the pain you are going through, but knowing where she is, is awesome. I wish as a parent of an adult child with mental illness we had more rights in the system. I don’t really care for the way the system is set up and they try to push the parents out. Good luck with everything both of you.

2 Likes

@ttt1 Thanks for your response. There are so many sad stories on this forum, so much struggle, that I wanted to share a little success (or almost!). Perhaps better anyway.

1 Like

@PNWMom Thanks for your response. I evolved into “Tigermom” over the past few months and now just keep trying to bust past this HIPAA stuff. Just keep on with the “well in general what happens here?”. It does usually lead to a bit more info because MH providers really want family involved -it helps them.

2 Likes

@Erica Applause for your wisdom and perseverance! This is what I try to tell people…it takes learning all we can (about the illness, the “system”, etc.), and doing the HARD WORK to make a difference. There IS hope for a better future in a realistic way! I’m so glad you now know where your daughter is. Our loved ones with SMI seem to often have “nine lives”!!

2 Likes

I am very glad that you were able to locate your daughter even with the barriers of HIPPA which make it so difficult for families to communicate with physicians and hospitals. I see so many homeless and wonder if they had disappeared without a word to their family and friends. That must be such a terrible feeling not to know where your loved ones are. I wish the best for you and your daughter.

3 Likes

@buenosaires Thank you for the good wishes. This is just the beginning of hopefully recovery. We are anticipating a long haul but so much better knowing she is safe and getting help.

1 Like