How can I get my husband to seek help for his condition?

Hello. I’m new here. But, I figured I’d give this a shot. I am about at my wits end. My husband is a paranoid schizophrenic. Voices “talk” to him nonstop. They’ve even caused issues in our marriage, trying to convince him that I’m in a gang, and I want to kill him. But anyway, that’s besides the point. For a long while my husband received shots of Haloperidol every 2 weeks. Back in March, it seemed like the meds quit working. His paranoia was through the roof. He paced the floors every night (his symptoms are always worse at night) the voices were trying to turn him against me. It was getting bad. We told his doctor. So his doctor upped the dosage. Which didn’t help at all. After that, he was taken off Haloperidol completely, and put on Abilify. Abilify was a HORRIBLE medication for him. He couldn’t think, convey his emotions, or really carry on conversation. So he took himself off of it. Saying that once it was out of his system it would be time for another doctors appointment and he would tell him it didn’t work. That was a month ago. He did not tell his doctor about the Abilify experience. His doc still believes he is on the medication. I told my husband he really needed to tell his doc so we could try to find something else. That didn’t go over well. He is convinced that the voices in his head are real people. And he needs to find them and kill them to make it all stop. I’ve considered approaching his doc on my own. But if my husband knew that, he would feel betrayed. And I’m worried that then the voices would try harder to convince him I’m the enemy. I don’t know what to do. He needs help. Does anyone here have any ideas on how I could convince him to talk to his doctor about a new medication?

Hi @HMG101p and welcome to this forum. I am sorry for your struggles with your husband’s illness. My daughter still hears her voices despite being on the Haldol shot for 3 years. The voices may never go away, and delusions are slow to change (like his fear of you) but your husband should find some stability on a med that works. If he won’t tell his doctor he is off his meds, I believe that you should. You can always fax the doctor a write up (which I did in the past) so all current reactions and activities of your husband are known to the doc. My daughter often told her doctors something totally different than what I observed.

I agree with @oldladyblue that telling the doctor is a better idea than not. Psychiatrists tend to be pretty savvy about not divulging where information comes from. Insurance companies sometimes note that prescriptions haven’t been refilled and call doctors or refuse to pay for visits if they think a patient isn’t med-compliant. I’ve had nurses or scheduling people check up me out of the blue, so it’s not unheard of getting an unscheduled call asking a patient to come in early for one reason or another. I don’t think HIPAA technically applies for information you provide if you aren’t a patient, but generally doctors offices tend to operate as if it always applies unless pressed or releases are signed.

1 Like