How do I get my wife to see a Dr

My wife has been slowly going down hill for a couple of years. Within the last 6 moths she is now what I am almost positive is schizophrenic. Your stories are very similar to mine. What started with her thinking things about other people has now turned against me. She will not listen when I tell her she needs a therapist or DR. She also has some medical issues that is going untreated because she thinks I am in on things with them. Things are getting worse almost daily. She told me 2 days ago that I hope you have everything insured because I have had enough. I do not know what to do. She told me months ago that if I go to her mom then she would disappear. She has not worked in many years so she has no income or skills so I am worried where she would end up if she left. To top this off and to make this as short as possible. I have 4 kids. the youngest has aspergers so he has some issues but nothing major. I have triplets that are 18. One of those has aspergers and is bi-polar and ADHD. My other son is Bi-polar and is currently waiting trial for a serious crime. I don’t know what to do. If I ask her mom for help she may leave. 2 of my older kids see what is happening but dont completely understand she is sick. The 2 with aspergers dont really know there is a problem. I just need help but I dont know where to turn

Hi***+*
I would definitely tell her mother!
Don’t worry about any threats. That’s all you can do—sounds like you have your hands
Very full taking care of yourself and your children. Hopefully her mom can help.

1 Like

I’m sorry you’re going through some tough times.

I’m certainly not some source of wisdom, but you might be able to get away with contacting her mother (along with any other family that can help you) on the grounds that you -personally- are under a lot of stress from work and raising kids and that you -personally- needed to reach out for extra help.
In fact, that seems to be exactly true (considering you found us).
So, it sounds like you are the support system for your family. Start putting together your own support system.

The Wreklus family has a term for this:
The support system for the support system.

1 Like

I don’t have experience or lots of knowledge but I do not think you should call her mother, what if her mother causes more trauma to her? (That’s the case with my afflicted sister and for our family both our parents are just sometimes not a source of relief but a source of added stress -unfortunately)…

What if instead, you ask your wife gently, who does she trust? Maybe she will be the one giving you an idea of who could help and that she trusts xyz… When my afflicted sister was communicative, she always asked for me and not mom… sigh

Many good parents in this forum love their children and are trying to help them though and I know mine do what they know best (I was taught here about good intentions but bad results)… so I do not know how your mother-in-law is and if she is a source of peace for your wife or not…

I hope you’ll find answers

Thats the big problem. She does not trust anyone. She has stopped going to church. She doesnt go to her moms anymore(we normally go every Sunday) I’m afraid If I make the wrong move I am going to make things worse

Here are some resources - do you have other family members that can help you. Educate everyone, and keep a journal about your wife’s behaviors and beliefs so that you can share it with the mental health professionals.

Study this document:

FIRST Aid for Psychosis
http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/005561.html

How to get help:

Here is a good place to get your wife to, if you can:

I recommend you watch these videos:

I Am Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help! - Dr. Xavier Amador - Pt. 1

and

I Am Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help! - Dr. Xavier Amador - Pt. 2

1 Like