I don’t know if this counts.
My son had stopped all medication earlier this year. I’m not sure for how long, but he finally got sick enough where he ended up in the hospital.
I did not stage an event, but I did jump when the opportunity presented itself to get him the help he needed.
For the first one, we had went into fill out paperwork to get him a case worker. He was pretty unresponsive, signed his name as bugs bunny, all kind of stuff where you could tell he was very, very sick. They asked him what hospital he wanted on his emergency list, and of course we didn’t know. So, I asked what the options were. The lady explained lots of people liked one because it was close, and another because you could smoke there. He chose the smoking hospital.
Later that day or the next, he asked to go to the hospital where you could smoke, so I looked and their website said they did 24 hour evals. Off we went at about 9 PM. I think he had the idea he would get there, smoke in a safe place, hang out & leave. They wouldn’t let him leave when he wanted to & did an involuntary hold.
He came out better, but promptly gave up the meds and was very sick again very soon.
Nearly 2 months later, he was very agitated one morning and wanted to speak to someone right away. So bad, that he said let’s just go to the mental health clinic and ask to see the therapist or case worker. I said OK, but if they’re not available, you have to ask for crisis. He did, and within 10 minutes they were starting the involuntary hold.
This time, they started him on the injection, and I had lots of hope for it, but now it doesn’t seem to be working well enough or his dosage is too low, and I wonder if we’re not on the downhill slide for a 3rd trip. I’m really hoping we’re not.
Here, the involuntary hold laws have more in it than an immediate threat to yourself or others.
It also includes verbiage about gravely disabled, not capable of caring for oneself or protecting oneself from harm, and not being competent enough to voluntarily agree to treatment.
My son was not threatening to harm himself or others when he went in on an involuntary hold, but he was visibly out of it and barely able to communicate. And, communicate is a loose term, he could speak, but it wasn’t making any sense at all.
I think the first time it was “not able to protect himself from harm” and the second time was because he wasn’t competent enough to voluntarily consent to treatment.
I would not stage an event, but that’s my personal thoughts on the matter. I’ve worked very hard for a very long time to maintain trust between us.
I don’t understand what your goals are. Do you want to get him into treatment? Or are you looking for ways to cope with allowing him to stay unmedicated?