Husband or Children?

My husband started having psychosis episodes in January. He was diagnosed with MS about 5 years ago, but only wanted to go the medicinal marijuana route. He thinks I’m trying to poison him and thought our son by coughing in his face was trying to give him Covid. Thought I was dating a rock star and our neighbor is his son from 30 years ago. After his 5th baker act he went to live with his parents in MD. In April he attempted to take his life at their home. He was discharged 10 days later. He refuses to take medication or get therapy. Now, his parents are ready to drop him off here in FL, I haven’t told our kids what he did, and not sure if it’s even a good idea for him to come home without any treatment. I want to give him a chance but am I fooling myself. His parents aren’t encouraging him to get treatment in MD, I’m afraid that only way for him to get help is if he comes home, but at what cost?

3 Likes

Children.

He needs to stay with his parents. If being with you is the answer you think it might be, he can start taking meds now in his parents’ home to earn his way back into your home.

2 Likes

They are coming Friday they are adamant. They are done. He thinks he doesn’t need therapy or medication. I read about anosognosia. And I told him he must have Treatment before he comes down but he won’t.

1 Like

Can’t you call the police and tell them you’re afraid and they can take him to hospital to stay for a while to get him on meds?
It doesn’t sound like a safe situation. I know since my son pulled a knife on me and hit my younger so. In the shoulder with it. He’s ok but now my schizo son is in jail and they’re making him take meds.

2 Likes

Tell them NO. They aren’t supporting you are they?

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear about your sons.Both of them. I spoke with the mobile crisis team from the PD. They said I can do a restraining order if necessary. They are aware of the situations bc he called 911 with one of his episodes.

2 Likes

No they are not supporting me. I was wondering by any chance has anyone heard of Covid induced psychosis?

Children, always children. The most important job is to protect them and provide them a safe, peaceful home.

As someone who grew up with a mentally ill father who refused treatment for years, I can tell you first hand the damage it does to allow a situation like what you’re describing to continue. And my father’s illness was much less severe than what you are describing. Children need to come first. They deserve a home that’s peaceful and unless and until your husband understands he needs treatment and he is stable for a LONG time, he needs to be somewhere else. I’m so sorry, I imagined this is incredibly hard. But the first priority has to be your kids.

In addition to protecting your kids by creating a stable home environment, there is also evidence that prolonged exposure to a stressful situation and to trauma like what results from living with a father with suicide tendencies, increases the likelihood that your kids will experience their own mental health issues. There’s already a genetic component to mental illness, avoiding trauma and prolonged stress is important.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing. That’s my fear, the impact it will leave on my children. This is a very difficult time for all of us. And pray that God will heal my husband and protect us.

3 Likes