I dont know how to help my son. Help please!

See - you just have to keep thinking outside of the box. Good thinking! I wish that when they entered the hospital or where ever they land someone would have given us a sheet telling us options but they didn’t they just let us lumber along. But, like you, we kept pushing and trying to find options. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thank you! 151515151515

Have u ever tried to restrain someone who is in the midst of psychosis? I highly don’t recommend trying that alone. U might just be shocked by the persons strength. I am bipolar but I don’t have any hallucination. My son sees, hears, smells and taste things. I couldn’t imagine someone restraining me in the midst of that. I’d b afraid for whoever was trying to restrain me. Seriously look into it. Don’t underestimate psychosis.

I agree. Don’t even get too close, never mind try to touch or restrain. That’s a quick way to get yourself a broken nose, and for your loved one to end up with legal issues.

Unless of course, you are able to do it in a way that keeps everyone safe, like if your kid is half your size. Mine isn’t. Not even close.

1 Like

There is no way to physically restrain a person with severe psychosis short of involving professionals who are trained to do so. I agree with you.

1 Like

Here they come, with shot in hand… NAP TIME!

1 Like

That might be a joke more for/between the mentally ill. I don’t know if normal people get that.

1 Like

I’m not mentally ill (so I guess I’m “normal”), but I did get a chuckle out of it.

I’m also a big fan of naps, in general.

3 Likes

Bad news. I talked to the pavilion, the hospital my son was going to go to… They are saying because I have a medical card only sass or crises can admit him. I feel so lost, hopeless. I don’t know what to do, how to get him help. I really believed with the courts involved he would get the help he so desperately needs. What a disappointment. I’m devastated to say the least

I sorry Steph. Did you already try sass or the crisis people? I think you mentioned you may have. Hang in there - I know it’s rough.

Sometimes it takes a really long time. It was really hard and took a long time for our family member to get treatment, but it eventually happened.

I read the advice on here somewhere: if a provider cannot help, ask them to recommend next steps and refer to a provider who can…

Best to you

OK. My son has a appointment set up for June 21st at his physicians office. The nurse thinks Dr will prescribe something to hold him over till he can get into psychiatry department. Psychiatry department told me to call back in 2-3 weeks to check for opening. Dr put my son as high priority on referral. … Please let this work.

4 Likes

Yes. The crises worker went there. She told me since he’s in jail, he’s not a threat to himself or anyone else so she’s not admitting him.

This is good news. And that your Doctor is helping! What is wrong with the Crisis worker. Aren’t they supposed to have some compassion.

1 Like

Steph, Is the crisis person making the call on this from the county you live in? I live in a neighboring state and when my 27 yr old son was taken by police to the hospital when he and my husband had a confrontation at our house, my son was taken to and held in the ER until he was cleared to go to the Psych unit of the hospital for a 72 hour hold (per Baker Act) - which then required a Psychiatrist to see him in this time frame. My son was very delusional as well and hearing voices at this point and the SZ diagnosis this psychiatrist gave my son allowed him to be admitted past 72 hrs to start him on SZ meds. This was in late 2016 and my son has been under a psychiatric commitment by the county we live in ever since and has been on court ordered meds - and I’m happy to say had been stable and lives at home with us again. We had to hire a lawyer to help with the charges of property damage - which he has been cleared of - but my son never was taken to jail. Why didn’t the police take your son to the ER to be evaluated I wonder. Maybe the laws are different in IL that way?? Try to hang in there! It can get better once your son is in Psych treatment.

1 Like

The pavilion assessment worker called the crises workers. Crises workers said, at this time the jail is the safest place for him. The pavilion worker sympathize with the situation but say, there hands are tied. It’s just all so devastating. I wish I could get him a lawyer. They’d probably be able to do something. This public defender doesn’t have my sons best interest in mind… The jail has had him on suicide watch but it’s still not serious enough to get him help. What has to happen? What does it take.

Exactly. Maybe try this - see if you can find out the phone # for the County Attorney’s Office in your county. I am wondering if you have enough information to get an emergency mental health hold and if so if they can do that while he is in jail. I got the number for mine from our municipal court clerk’s office. You could also ask the clerk’s office who you would call to get a emergency mental health hold for someone. This is just an idea - I don’t know if it could work.

The only way he can b admitted is if the crises workers do it. He had been to the hospital the day before he went to jail. The crises worker didn’t admit him. All hell broke lose the next day. He believes we are drugging him and doing bizarre things to mess with him for example, warning, this is disturbing but he believes I was rubbing my private parts on the door handles. It was by far the jaw dropping moment of my life, when I was told this… He exploded. In his world we’re doing all these things to him and he just lost it. He broke a door, window, TV, a lot of little stuff like dishes, ashtray, remote. It was all really bad. Since he had just been to the ER and crises chose not to take him, they took him to jail. My heart truly breaks for him. I truly feel defeated. I have exhausted all avenues. My son needs a angel.

I am being told the crises workers are the only ones who can admit him because I have the medical card.

Well thankfully he has that doctor appointment next week. I’ll be praying for him. Poor kid. Jeez.

2 Likes