Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

I’ve posted here before about my son, here is a bit of success

I’ve posted here before. I think my last post was when my son beat me up and put me in the hospital. I’ll start from the beginning, he stated showing signs of mental illness at age 15. Never graduated high school. In and out of hospitals. I got involved with AOT, in my county. Ended up going to court, against AOT. The judge was shocked that nothing had been done to help my son, who by then, had a long history of hospitalizations. He called the residential facility in my county, within 2 weeks, my son was living there. He’s been there since March 2020. He likes it there and they like him. He’s taking medication, getting therapy, and (most importantly) is happy.
I cared for him for 6 -7 years through his mental struggles as this disease ravaged his brain. My house destroyed: holes in walls, windows broken, computers smashed, mirrors shattered, etc… but I never gave up.
Now, finally he is in a place where he is happy.
There is help, keep fighting to get your loved one help. Good luck

20 Likes

Great to have some good news! So glad your son is taking meds and is in a good place and that you have some space to heal. I believe I have a little ptsd from going through the MI will my son.

1 Like

Oh definitely! PTSD is there. So hard to explain, but I know you can all understand. There is also the sense of loss that will never go away. A sense of sadness deep inside that will always be there. But my point for posting, was to tell everyone to continue to reach out to your county, the courts, your Out Patient Treatment program. See if your country has caseworkers who can be assigned to your loved one. Don’t give up! Good luck!

4 Likes

Wonderful news we all hope for and use…yes…never loose hope or give up. We get so worn out from the emotional toil …but never give up

3 Likes

Cher, So glad to hear a good outcome. I get the holes in walls, broken windows, dishes etc… I wish my son would be medication compliant. There is hope! BTW, what is AOT?

So happy for you and your son! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Cher. Hope springs eternal and love always win. I feel your pain with many of the same high level facts. It’s an impossibly tough road. Good to hear that people are surviving the journey! Thanks again for sharing.

1 Like

So glad for you and your son. I am still looking for that day to come for my son.

What is AOT? Is your son now an adult. He is in long term residential care?

AOT is Assisted Outpatient Treatment which is offered to people with mental illness. Check with your county to see if they have one. I’m in California.

1 Like