Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Is Pica related to psychosis

My son’s school says he is occasionally eating or drinking “non-food” items. He is almost 14.
I don’t know if this is a symptom, or just a goofy teenage boy thing.

My mom had dementia and she ate small pieces of napkins. I haven’t seen my son (sz) eat non-food items.

I have heard that it can be a diagnosis unto itself or it can be an additional component of another diagnosis as in schizophrenia or something else. I found this link if it helps at all,
http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/mental-health-disorders/eating-disorders/pica

At school I remember a friend who used to eat wax crayons. It was a silly boy thing which he grew out of.

Thank you for replying! Something strange s going on, but who knows what!

I read this before, but only this morning recalled something.

Food doesn’t always look like food to our boy. Usually something drastically wretched…like “humans”, or “intestines”, or “vomit”.

He’s not a drama queen…in fact, I just read a post which referred to “poverty of speech”. He talks to me, rapid fire, sometimes. SOMETIMES. Like…well, once a day, maybe? MAYBE. He’s uber quiet, and on a mission to be as little “trouble” as possible. (His words, not mine…he’s actually very easy as long as he is left alone, but not too alone…)

Back to the food…
Lately he’s been sniffing glasses. He says they taste like they have something in them…they are dirty. He washes, and washes…but they still “stink”. Okay…I told him glass doesn’t adsorb odors, so from now on, he should pick glass instead of plastic to drink from. Seems to have worked…I think it only worked because he still trusts me a great deal, and I seemed reasonable to him.

I used to work in the classrooms as an aide. I’ve seen children eat “non-food” items, heck, I’ve even documented the act…

The reason is seldom documented, as really: can anyone actually state the reason for eating non-food items? Noooo, we can’t read minds, and children won’t always tell you. Head staff will also (at least they used to) limit what is documented. Anything written can be challenged, questioned, and gives the parent ability to respond to specifics that may not have been authorized or clearly interpreted.

What if the “non-food” item appeared to be real food?

I wouldn’t put it past our boy. He does not “see” things as we do. Sometimes, what he sees is quite beautiful…other times, a nightmare.

Why wouldn’t “food” be as confusing as anything else?
That would be my thought.

That’s interesting. My son doesn’t confide in anyone about hallucinations lately. But he is adament about not reducing his Geodon, so I think some things are still going on.