Just had to Baker Act him

I’ve always tried to avoid having to call the police, but after yersterday’s post… Spent 3 hours trying to speak with a psychiatrist and transferred to a crisis hotline. He wanted to take the medication and I waiting to see if we could get the psychiatrist’s opinion after the severe side effects he had and he got so argumentative and violent, even as I was speaking to the crisis hotline lady he was yelling and holding my wrists and even spoke to her, including the 911 operator. I’ve forgotten how to write. I’m just so traumatized. He refused to let them in, I had to come out and give my statements and he gave his saying I was hurting him and harassing him. I’m not 100% sure what he told them, but I when I was nearby the second officer I heard him telling him he had cured cancer and a lot of crazy things which made them believe he’s deluded and he was yelling aggressively to them as he gave his statement. I’m freaking out. I’ve never had any trouble with the police, only time I dealt with them was in military school and on good terms. I’ve never had to Baker Act anyone either or called 911 on anyone. I feel like I breathe and like I’m going to faint. The 1st police officer gave me a bottle of water after we dropped off and they left him in there and she had a Victim’s Unit police officer call me and she gave me two trauma numbers and the location of a place if I needed to stay in one. I just got back home after the second officer dropped me off. I don’t know how to process this. She said to rest and eat something, but I can’t even stomach the water.

2 Likes

Dear Doctor,

I have read this about trauma: if you start shaking, let yourself shake… Shaking is a process of returning to the body.

If you don’t, that’s okay, but please just try small sips of water every so often.

I know it’s hard for you to take care of yourself, but I still hope you will access the resources you need to feel better.

2 Likes

Oh Doctor I am so sorry - what an awful incident, I’m glad you weren’t seriously hurt. Drink the water sips, close your eyes and breathe. I’ve been in your shoes with the 911 call, hang in there, for me the shaking lasted a couple of days.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, breathing. I often forget… I like this GIF because there’s no counting involved: This Simple GIF Might Help You Breathe | HuffPost Life

1 Like

Thank you, I’m baking some potatoes now and waiting to hear from him. Hopefully he doesn’t hate me for calling them.

2 Likes

Thank you and yeah, I still feel anxious. The female cop she was going to check in on me later today, so that’s making me freak out even more because I have no idea what to say. I’m not particularly a talkative person and I have social anxiety and I’m still only trying to process what is happening.

2 Likes

It’ll be OK, and maybe it’ll be the best thing that could have happened to him.

For me, it’s gotten easier every time I’ve had to take him to the hospital.
I don’t think he’ll hate you. I worried about that too, and it didn’t happen.

Just called, they say he’s not there, so where the hell is he?

1 Like

You will get through this and you will be able to deal with everything. He might not be showing up in their computer yet. Did they say where they were taking him?

Let’s hope they just couldn’t find him in the system.

Where we live, a person has to be medically cleared through an Emergency Department, then wait for a bed in the hospital. I don’t know how it works where you are though.

No, I saw him go in. I called back now and they said they were transferring him to another hospital because they didn’t take his insurance.

That’s what they all told me, I tried 3 different hospitals, but the one he was in told me they’re transferring because they don’t accept his insurance.

Nope, just went to another hospital due to insurance reasons.

1 Like

It took a couple of hours once for a hospital to figure out where to transfer my MIL. The hospital that has him will know where he goes.

They already told me where, but I called at first and they said he wasn’t there, and then when I called back the original they told me it was that one.

Doctor, I’m sorry but you handled it as well as anyone could. Know it is hard on all of us to have to call but I have seen your posts and in our gut we know what we need to do. I think you are so wise to not let him get worse. Hopefully, they will look at all of his meds and see what they can change.

In the meantime, try to relax and take care of yourself. I’ll be praying for you both.

This might be of interest:

Thank you. I guess I’ll just be waiting patiently.

Thank you, I will read it all.