LEAP help here please? Quickly mid conversation

This is the one LEAP post from you that I recall.

1 Like

I think it was a link, I just found the thread its titled - “how to respond in a helpful manner to a person with disturbing beliefs”

3 Likes

Oh good. I’m glad you found what you were looking for. I do remember that thread.

Yikes we spend a lot of time on this forum haha. But it’s good. It’s important.

3 Likes

Thank you, @hope and all! I am looking now at those things you pointed to. I’d love to see continued posts on this subject if you come across additional prior posts or have new contributions!

1 Like

So what was the outcome of the car offer last year?

1 Like

Oh it was Jeb at his finest. He went to see a psychiatrist (there are moon threads that give lots of details - To the Moon and Back is the name of one of the threads) Try not to laugh but my son has serious issues when the moon is super close.

Okay, he picked a new psychiatrist and went to see her so we would buy a car for him that he could use for Uber. His car was too old.

He tried the meds prescribed for ONE day. Told the doctor it gave him suicidal thoughts - I can promise you, this was not true. But how could the doctor argue with it? He didn’t even know him. HIs original psychiatrist said it was hard to keep a step ahead of Jeb. He played this last psychiatrist like a fine instrument.

He would go see the new doctor on a spur of the moment - so only if he was having a good day, would he call and go see him that same day. He can hold still suppress his illness for a few hours at a time, every couple of weeks or so.

Jeb met with him for months. He was charging it to my credit card so I had his contact information and I did what we are supposed to do and faxed him information about how things were here at home.

In December of 2017, he had a really bad moon time. Really bad. I told him that he was not fulfilling the deal for the car. He was supposed to take meds and see a psychiatrist. He told me that his doctor said he didn’t need meds. I told him to get a note from his doctor that said that was true. He went to see the doctor the next day - BUT- it wasn’t like when he always waited for a better day. So FINALLY the doctor saw him on a bad day. The doctor knew what had happened at our home, but Jeb wouldn’t talk about it with the doctor. The doctor refused to sign the note and Jeb was not happy.

His doctor then called to let us know he was extremely concerned about Jeb’s delusions regarding his dad. He said he had never seen Jeb with “so little insight” -omigosh - Jeb had been acting as though he had insight with this doctor. He had actually told the doctor he thought he heard voices. Jeb hasn’t even been hospitalized but he can play doctors to his advantage just like Dr Amador says they will.

After the parents of a young man with scz and a bad meth habit were killed by their son with a sledge hammer -the parents were in our Family to Family class -I had promised my husband that if Jeb ever became a threat to us we would not allow him to live with us.

After the doctor’s call, I told Jeb he had to move out. He refused saying he didn’t have a way to support himself. I let him know how much money he receives from SS. He said that wasn’t enough to live on, Jeb has scz - he isn’t stupid. We offered to switch out the car he was driving for one that would be acceptable to Uber. He agreed and moved out.

That is how the car offer concluded. We bought him a car.

2 Likes

Oh, my. Well, you still got something that you wanted by his moving out…and that was important in your situation. Is Jeb driving? This at least gives me (and other readers) something to think about with each of our loved ones…as to ways their minds can work…even though each person is different. I am so sorry about the murdered parents. So, so sad. It must have been especially hard that you knew them.

The mom was just the sweetest lady, the dad was quiet, they were gentle people. Just breaks your heart. Several from our class and our teachers attended their memorial service. They hadn’t even told anyone that their son had scz. Their situation had gotten bad quickly after onset, their child used meth to self medicate.

My husband became terrified of Jeb as a result. From our Family to Family class, those parents were killed, and two of our teachers have since lost their children. One to an accident and the other was also medicated, but had other problems as well.

Jeb does drive. He just can’t drive very often. The good thing is that he doesn’t drive when he can’t. When a hurricane was expected to hit our county and our area was under mandatory evacuation, Jeb tried to drive out and had to return. He texted that he tried, he just couldn’t drive right now. He refused to travel in a vehicle with us. We stayed as we would not leave him here alone. In the end, our area did not feel the major impact of Harvey, it hit worst south and north of us.

Yes, we underestimated Jeb.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing. It truly helps to learn what experiences others have. You are cared about!

3 Likes

That’s what I love about this forum - we all care about each other and our family members.

4 Likes