My 28 year old son

Hi I just joined this forum tonight. I’m actually desperate for some sort of answer or help or something… My brother is 23 and he has suffered PTSD for the past 4 years he has been on antidepressants and lived off Xanax for anxiety. Last year he completely lost his mind and basically lived in a made up world and ended up in a mental institution for 3 months. For the past 4 years he smoked weed which made everything a whole lot worse he has now quit completely but nothing is getting better he takes Zyprexa and is now on 10mg he was originally on 25mg, 150mg efexor and serequal as needed, mirtazapine to go to sleep. He is still delusional, he thinks we have his cure but we aren’t giving it to him, he thinks he has a family and kids which he doesn’t he is blaming us for taking his life away. I honestly don’t know what to do anymore he sees a psych but acts completely normal to him. I feel like my whole world has come crashing down even when he’s having a good day I’m waiting for the bad to follow. This is torture for all of us… I have 3 kids of my own and I feel as though I have no energy to raise them because my whole life revolves around my brothers mood. I’m so sad but I have no tears left to cry. My heart is hurting everyday looking at him because our hands are tied and we can’t help him. Sometimes he gets really bad but I don’t want to call an ambulance because I’m scared he’ll blame me even more I honestly don’t know what to do I’m so scared

Acting normal around doctors is not unusual, have you contacted your brother’s doctor to let the doctor know what is actually going on? The doctor may not talk to you, but they will read what you have to say about your brother. Find out from the doctor’s office how to communicate. I have had some prefer faxes to emails. Most of the time they can’t respond unless they have your brother’s permission.

Hi Hope
Thanks for your reply

I have seen my brothers doctor and have called him on a few occasions and told him what is really going on but he says that it’s really hard because he presents so well. He said maybe because he has weaned the Zyprexa to 10mg he is showing more signs of his condition, I just don’t understand why the doctor doesn’t do something about it I’m not sure what else to do I think I’m just expecting a miracle medication that’s going to fix everything even though I know it’s not possible

1 Like