Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

My son has gone off meds and is now homeless

My 30 yo son was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, he has gone off his meds for about 2 years and now he is homeless. Having to watch his decision to live without medication has been the most heartbreaking experience of my life, and I don’t know what to do anymore. His mental health is getting worse day by day. Any thoughts on how to handle the situation?

1 Like

I am so sorry that you are going through this situation. It is heartbreaking, but it sounds as if he may have to reach the point of needing hospitalization before he will agree to take meds once again. If that happens, he might, having returned to lucidity, be persuaded to consider a psychiatric advance directive that would take into account various scenarios, stipulating what to do should they occur.

What astounds about the case cited below is the apparent disregard of the sufferer’s wife for their daughter’s safety. No one should be compelled to defer to a loved one’s wishes to the extent of putting themselves or others in harm’s way.

journalofethics.ama-assn.org/article/medication-refusal-schizophrenia-preventive-and-reactive-ethical-considerations/2016-0

I am so sorry @Leahh that you feel hopeless about helping your son. It is so hard to watch when our adult children with severe mental illness make bad choices. I’m afraid there isn’t a lot you can do unless he is willing to accept help. Does he live near you or far away?

@frustratedinlaw I clicked on your like, but it didn’t go to a story. I agree that sometimes one just has to wait for the right time to intervene. I had to wait until a totally accidental happening happened to get my daughter arrested outside of our home. When I went to court, the judge was sympathetic to me, and ordered her onto meds. That saved us from the horrible psychosis, as she is still on meds and doing well now, almost 3 years later.

2 Likes