My son was disabled before age 22 and receives SSI. His father is now receiving SSDI for permanent disability - can my son receive financial gains from his record?

My insurance company told me that since I hadn’t applied for disability status for my son within a particular time frame he could not be placed on my insurance. (This seems so wrong to me- I really didn’t know then what the future would hold. He was then diagnosed Bipolar 1 but that has since changed to SZA)

@nowwhat What a bummer! Although it was so tragic for my son to be disabled so young, it’s proving to be a financial gain for him currently. It makes no sense to me, but our government makes no sense to me most of the time, lol! Have a great day! Xo

I applied outside of the age range because I didn’t know about the statute. BUT, I did have documentation to prove that his issues began before the age of 22. I offered to ship them a boxload of material but all I needed was one simple statement from his doctor that I’d had before he turned 22.

1 Like

When my son was on SSI, they actually told me that if I charged him $200 a month for rent, they could increase his benefit. Really didn’t matter, it still all went to him…or through me as rep payee to him.

2 Likes

My son recently moved from an apartment into our home. I am his Rep Payee while he receives SSI. When I called the SSA to give them his new address (as required) I had to give the SSA item by item our cost of rent/mortgage, electricity, gas, water, trash, and food. That number was divided by 3 (2 parents + son) and that is the $ my son has to pay for his “fair share”. Alternative, he could pay us “rent” but if he pays rent to us, or anywhere else, it still has to be his share of the actual rent or a market-value rent and you have to add in specific “residential expenses” if they are incurred separately, including food. If he does not have sufficient funds to pay that, they will reduce the amount of his SSI benefit. It seems crazy, but that’s the way it is.

3 Likes

Unless there is a specific law in CA that might offer different parameters, the employee has to apply to his/her company to keep the adult child soon to turn 26 on the employer insurance plan. It is up to the employer whether or not to allow this. You have to apply PRIOR TO the child turning age 26. It doesn’t really matter when the child was disabled as long as you can submit evidence of the child being disabled with an expectation of the disability continuing for a substantial amount of time or even for a lifetime. Our son is approved on our employer plan beyond age 26 with no end date.

1 Like

I thought that the maximum they deduct for room and board is 1/3 of the Federal SSA(?)

1 Like

Yes, isn’t this the most insane formula ever? I always freak out when I have an accounting app because I know their formulas and it stresses me out bc I know they’re looking to reduce funds. I always ask the worker, does this make sense to you, these individuals are the poorest of the poor and if we help (because of course we have to), funds are deducted. One worker told me this was ‘free money’ and I completely lost it - free money? I’ve been paying into this my whole life and my son would much rather work than have this formula, ugh! Then she was questioning our gas bill, ugh! Sometimes they’re very nice and helpful, but this fair share equation and if someone helps out they reduce funds got me heated for sure! I was told if he’s approved for the additional funds, he will still have the accounting formula so now I have to figure out a new formula, ugh! I do know that he can have more than 2k in his account, which is nice so maybe there are some more features that we’ll like - just have to wait for the approval then research. Thanks for your input!!!

4 Likes

Nice to know! I will keep an eye on this as he’s barely 23. I did call our benefits department and was told, yes you can add him, but I didn’t get all the details. We just got bought out by another company and we’re currently enrolling in benefits, so I will get a clear answer. Thank you!!!

2 Likes

I think so. I know when one parent retires…they can get ssdi if its more… .whichhelos.if parents made enough…they get 1/2 amount of what the parent gets for their ssa retirement…if its 2000 ssa, kid gets 1000…ect…

2 Likes

U have to say he pays for hia food seperately…and you charge him the going rate rent…in Idaho its 600 to 800 to rent a bedroom…so my son " rents" room from me…they give him 200 more so 841 now…then he eats separate…like a renter…then u shouldnt have to give all your financial data…ive never had to in CA, NV, CO, ID…its a fed program so should be same…then i know at least at 21 they can get food stamps snap about 199 a .o th and 50 cash for incidentala…

3 Likes

I chose to report “fair share” as opposed to “rent” because you have to report rent payments as taxable income.

4 Likes