Need advice on what to tell people. Son diagnosed with psychosis 6 months ago

I also tend to be pretty forthright with people I interact with regularly, and also most people who might interact with him regularly. Often I find out that these people are also dealing with mental illness in their families.

Other people, say the clerk at the grocery store who gives me a funny look when I am using my son’s food stamp card, I simply say, ‘my son is disabled’.

Regarding stigma, I watched a video several years ago where mothers of people with schizophrenia were discussing the stigma. They described it as having a child with cancer - but without the casseroles. Friends and family will show great outpouring of support for parents of a child with cancer - including casserole delivery - but parents of a person with mental illness just get the awkward silence.

1 Like

@Vallpen - I read that one too! I didn’t get my casserole either! I have also told our dental hygienist as at some point he’ll likely have to get his teeth cleaned. And I have found out about other families with a scz family member as well. One had an aunt who (about 20 years ago) ran a red light trying to get away from whoever was following her and killed someone. She went to jail for quite a while. This story is what made me stop forcing my son to leave the house.

2 Likes

Sorry, this is long. I’m anticipating some may be bothered by our approach. We could not really get good advice from drs on this subject. Most Drs encouraged privacy due to stigma. Others wanted ROI’s and as much dialog between agencies as possible, but not with the public. We had to find our own way.

Our son was dx at 7/8yo.
As he aged, I wondered what to do?
I may be outspoken, but he’s very private.
I wanted to care for him, protect him, and yet: teach him how to live with this.

I sometimes tell people quietly with him present. For instance: dentist office, vision appointments. They need to know that everything could be fine, or he can say something or give you an answer that is misleading, unless you “get it”. (Vision appointment was tough!!)

Sometimes I’ll answer matter of factly, and have been repeatedly surprised by the results.

Some people will turn to my son and ask: "What’s your disability? Do you have scz? "
What!!!
I’m glad I don’t go off about privacy issues and how rude they are to ask…a child at that!

BUT, most of the time the person has a family member with scz, they just “know”. Usually they come from the time of serious stigmatization. (My mothers generation struggled with the dx, my mother/grandmother/uncle AND brother was dx, and it was not talked about. Still isn’t with them.) They almost always ask him if he is taking his meds? Then, when he doesn’t react in an upset manner (he doesn’t usually), they will beg him to remain on his meds, sharing their own heartbreak regarding their loved ones. IT HELPS!!! And yes…strangers have told us that their loved one committed suicide. It hits him hard. (One time, the man approached, he was my age (mid 40s) and his 35yo wife was just dx. He said he felt so alone ,and appreciated meeting my husband and son, as he was worried about the future for their young children.)

I also ask our son if I embarrassed him? OR, perhaps more important: did I speak of this subject in a respectful way? How does he feel about the dialogue that just happened? What does he think?

He says it’s better for him if I explain. We have found too many people who actually “know”. The statistics are high for what we call at home “standard scz”. Our older son is at high risk for the standard scz that occurs in the early 20’s. Our younger son has the Early Onset form.

Both boys say that talking about it helps. BUT, what they are really referring to is this: It’s okay for me to talk to people about it. In front of them too…but I do the talking. They aren’t talking. Older son said he found a few people on line who will talk, but he waits a long time before opening up to them. The ones with siblings have really helped him, as they tend to be private too.

My husband is in a powerful position at his work. The competition and pressure is tremendous. He is naturally quiet and reserved as well. However, I have noticed over the years that he will find a few men (it’s a male field) who “get it”. He doesn’t talk to them alot, but he does reach out with certain people. Often, they have personal experience and appreciate the quiet and discreet support. They can’t have “this” interfere with their day at work, and they can’t really talk about it…but just knowing that someone understands seems to help husband. The stigma seems to be strongest felt within my husbands field of employment, and within our parents generation.

When our son was dx, and the family found out…that’s when we learned that there was more dx history in our bloodlines than we had realized!!! They only confirmed and then grew silent. Neither side of grandparents speak to our son. There’s just silence on the subject of scz. Been this way for years.

Our son who is dx will now have short conversations with strangers about scz. I learn a lot from him talking to others. They have asked him directly why there is such an issue with med compliance? He answeres about the side effects, and the head trips. He said he believes he helps be the voice for the ones who aren’t taking the meds, as he “gets it”.

What I don’t appreciate is that some people will blurt out LOUDLY that they know all about scz, and isn’t it amazing how many different personalities and names a person can have? Nooooo, you’re talking about Multiple Personality Disorder…not schizophrenia.

Must remember he’s almost 14yo. In some ways he’s like a 10 year old, other times, I swear he’s an old man.

Bottom line? I tell people in general. Why? We have moved 18 times in 10 years for my husbands job. IF our son leaves and is wandering around the neighborhood, someone will notice and know what to do at least. It’s happened, and people are generally very kind.

Example: a school bus LOST our son in Utah. They called out extra buses and drove my older son and I around until the younger was found. He was in the midst of a psych break in Salt Lake City. Everyone was informed, everyone searched and everyone helped him get settled down. He was 9 years old and newly diagnosed!!! Everyone searched, and it turned out okay. We also learned a lot!!!

It seems that we meet a lot of people who have a relative or friend with scz. The last apartment we moved to had regular maintenance people. I introduced myself, told them the situation, and right away TWO young men said they had a brother and a cousin each who were dx. That was all it takes. They programmed my phone number into their phones, were introduced to our son. An agreement was easily made that should anything ever happen, if (our son) was out and confused, he could just find one of them. They would keep a look out, and be available. They did…others have too. For our son, it’s the validation that he is not the only one. We have a new apartment, and neighbors on both sides have done the same.

When he’s having a really hard time, husband has asked that he wear a brighter tshirt. He likes this, as husband must wear bright yellow shirts at work, so son will borrow one of these. (He’s a big boy and fits Dad’s shirts already.) The reason? We can find him if he’s lost. We also take a picture of the boys just as we enter an event or large crowd. We then have a family picture of what he looks like THAT DAY. Should he get lost, we have a current understanding of what he is wearing. It’s easier to get others to help search if necessary, as they know what to look for. I jot down our contact info on a 3x5 card which goes in his pocket.

The other thing? Husband has tracking programs on sons phone. The lock screen on the phone has our telephone numbers on it too. He can’t remember things when he’s stressed, but we can be found if the worst case scenario happens of his getting lost.

Another safety aspect: son asked that we reinstall the baby lock on the backdoors of our Jeep. Why? He said the voices really command for him to join them outside the vehicle…while it’s driving. He was trying to manage it, but was becoming scared that he might submit. We also agreed to his request that we discreetly open the back door when we park so “no one will know”.

I’m glad he told us. When he was little, he tried to jump out. We didn’t know what was going on, but years later it was still an issue apparently.

Sorry for the length of this…I just wanted you to know WHY we tell others. Our situation is unique with the moving frequently…but we have learned that people are really pretty cool and quite encouraging! That makes disclosure not only necessary, but beneficial in my opinion.

(Still have never met anyone with Early Onset dx until this forum. Thank you especially!)

2 Likes

Another simple description I have used is, ‘My son is diagnosed with a Serious Mental Illness.’ It is accurate without being specific.

3 Likes

So glad you had 4 appearances on Christmas - it does make the day doesn’t it?

Jeb’s brother was disappointed that he didn’t let him come over to the apartment for a visit during his Christmas visit.

As you say, we are relieved to be able to move around and drop our guard. Equally worried about the possibility of Jeb actually moving.

@hope - I think Jeb will be back. You can still track him by his gas purchases correct?

Back when I bought his groceries I would sometimes say my son is disabled - if I got a look, usually that was met with silence. Sometimes, if I felt they had an attitude over me presenting the snap card, I would say, that I pick up groceries for my disabled neighbor. Odd - that got a big smile and lots of support. People seem to be pretty frail that they can’t handle “my son is disabled”.

After Jeb moved home an area minister dropped by several times trying to recruit us or performing outreach for his church. On the last visit, he was telling me updates on all the different kids he knew I knew from Jeb’s school days. I had trained his son who was only 2 years older than Jeb. Not the nicest of men, he began disparaging some of the kids and their progress in life. I think he was trying to get us to talk about Jeb. He said well, drugs and alcohol had taken a toll. I said “and mental illness?” while looking him straight in the eye.

That was his last visit.

2 Likes

Hope–Good riddence to that ignorant minister!

2 Likes

Excellent!!!

Our last neighbor is a minister.
He offered to perform an exorcism in our home.
That would work.

Noooooooo…
but, um…Thanks?

He still texts and offers.
Nooooooo…

@Squid - omg. That’s all I have to say.

1 Like

Yes on the gas tracking, and received a text from his brother. He has landed up at his brother’s place about 6 hours north of us. He plans to search for apartments there, its a university town with an art community presence and inexpensive housing. He might go pretty unnoticed there for the most part.

2 Likes

@hope Well that is good news! Now his brother gets to visit with him. Where are the cats?

Your neighbor offered to perform an exorcism.

Now I am speechless.

2 Likes

He texted asking if I would feed them.

@hope - That’s great. This sounds promising. I bet you’ll clean for him too. I just cleaned my son’s bathroom (without him catching me and telling me that he would do it). I was like at least he’s taken out the garbage - until I realized he had 7 bags of it under the sink. (laughing) Fingers crossed for you and Jeb!

2 Likes

Now I will be sure to check under the sink!

Years ago when we visited my older son at his post college shared house, he would insist we stay the night there as the other “kids’” parents did. I used to smuggle cleaning solutions in with me and clean one thing (sink, toilet, tub) each time I used the bathroom over the course of the weekend.

I thought I was being so clever until my son stopped me on the way in to the bathroom and said “stop it”.

3 Likes

Last night he was still pretty delusional. I’m hoping he is taking his medicine. Otherwise, he is going to be hospitalized for awhile. Did Jeb come back yet?

1 Like

No, looks like he is serious about moving. He has landed at his brother’s place about 6 hours away. His brother said he seemed relaxed and they had a good talk. Shortly after his brother texted me, he texted asking if I would feed his cats. He didn’t say anymore than the cat request.

Will they keep your son until he stabilizes? Do the delusions ever go totally away for your son?

3 Likes

Not really. Some of his delusion are fixed but he does mellow out and isn’t as angry. They will likely keep him as long as he called home shouting at me. Of course, he wants to see the doctor now but that has changed In the past as soon as he gets out.

3 Likes

I’ll have to look that up. Great comment. My husband has this disease and the amount of times I hear about how hard it must be to live with, long road ahead, totally understandable if you left; in fact it’s probably better if you do as you need to look after yourself, yada yada and I always think people would view me walking out on him because he has schizophrenia as completely acceptable. Replace schizophrenia with cancer??? Or any other disease and watch that change. It’s unfair on everyone. Whatever we can cope with or live with, or can’t, shouldn’t be judged. A person who can’t watch their loved one suffer through cancer for example isn’t a bad person. Just as I’m no saint.

3 Likes