Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

New supplement idea (potassium iodide) (possible actual treatment?) (warning)

Okay, this new avenue of treatment is based on the idea that 12 of 17 schizophrenic members in a study had traces of bartonella in their blood after a PCR test for it, while only 1 in 13 of the control group did.

Now bartonella being a spirochete, a spirocheticidal would be called for here. I searched for one that is cost effective and ubiquitous and found potassium iodide, basically thyroid protection pills (the kind used to protect your thyroid from radioactive iodine.)

I can’t remember the train of thought employed here but I found that late syphillis was once treated with potassium iodide, from 20-60 grains of the stuff (about 1-3 grams.) (https://collections.nlm.nih.gov/ext/dw/101722806/PDF/101722806.pdf.) About 1/5th of a teaspoon in a capsule is approx 20 grains.

Now, the warning here is it actually oxidizes your antipsychotic. Take the chemical formula for invega sustenna:

3-[2-[4-(6-fluoro-1,2-benzoxazol-3-yl)piperidin-1-yl]ethyl]-9-hydroxy-2-methyl-6,7,8,9-tetrahydropyrido[1,2-a]pyrimidin-4-one

Iodine displaces fluoride, and oxidizes the benzene rings as well. The med is rendered ineffectual as a result. But the potassium iodide at the same time likely nailed the underlying cause of schizophrenia to begin with, the spirochete infection, so your symptoms will likely reduce.

Gut-brain axis issues can make the blood-brain barrier weak and prone to reinfection though, so do due diligence here. I’d say ample vitamin d3 intake (10,000 IU daily minimum) or at least an hour outside a day, and a switch to gluten-free foods (sourdough is 97% gluten reduced, it’s my favourite staple here) would do you well.

I am currently on invega but experiencing no side effects to speak of, positive or negative. My mental state is about 85% normal, with the remainder being probably poor mental hygiene (lack of training.)

A product like this, $25, would do the job. No brand, just a reagent quality supplement.

I should also add that syphillis is a spirochete and known to cause psychosis in extreme cases.