New to Sz, inlove and scared

I promised myself I would never have a relationship with someone who has a mental illness ever again But then I met Him, and he just happens to have One of the hardest ones of all schizophrenia. Wow its hard, the love is so strong between us, my children love him and I ache for him. I would love to hear from people who manage to have successful family lives who can extend strength and hope. I have so much to learn so I can do the best for my family and my own heart.

I am sz and I have a family and my partner is not sz.

I know that some days I am not the easiest person to deal with. Some days I am unbelievably selfish and am unable to see that. Some days I struggle to do anything but sleep. Most days though (as I am “functioning”) I am like any other girlfriend.

Sz is very consuming, even when one is well. The thing that has helped my relationship the most is being brutally honest about everything. If I’m paranoid that the neighbor is killing cats, then I tell my partner and he is able to help talk me out of my delusion. I would talk to your partner about this approach.

Many things about this disease are hard for others to understand. Be patient, be kind, and never ridicule your partner. Good luck with your new found love and I wish you the best!!!

you Trigger for your insight , I have a feeling I will be relying on this site and the support and kindness of all who visit here. I love my man very much and hope I can always do my best. I have a disorder myself which makes things very interesting , I have had to put my health aside to concentrate on him. Not the easiest.

Make sure you make room and time for your health too! If you aren’t healthy then you can’t help your partner to be healthy!

Welcome to the forum :smiley:

I agree with trigger. You need to make time for you to gain energy. Doing things on your own. Things you like and gives you energy and relaxation. It can be anything. If you are tired and stressed nothing good will come out of it.

Welcome to the forums. I have a husband that doesn’t know much. He lives in a dream that everything will be okay again. That i will be the same as before I got ill. But that will not happen. I am not the same person anymore. Not bad. Not mean. Just different. I’m more introvert and easily stressed. Stress gives me more symptoms.

Thank you BarbieBF, like the forums so far, support is welcome. :slight_smile:

Hi, welcome to the group… :smiley:

Hello and welcome. Look through some of the threads on here, you will find a lot of people in similar situations, and might be able to glean some help.

Hello and welcome ^.^

Hi New to Sz

My husband had his first psychotic episode 2 years ago at 38.

When it first happened the Drs told me he should be better in 6-12 months. It’s now been 2 years and they have diagnosed him with schizophrenia. He’s 80% better and currently looking for work.

It has not been easy being the breadwinner and strong one in the relationship.

My advice to you is to hang in there and don’t give up hope. The whole process will make you stronger. If you really love him you could try to accept that he’s ill and don’t give up hope that once he’s on the right medicine or new improved medicines come on the market things will get easier.