Stress in relationship with sz husband

Hi, my husband has had schizophrenia for a long time, He will be fine for a long time then all of a sudden he goes into a psychosis. He yells all day about things that don’t make sense, and it makes me very angry, but I feel like I can’t do anything about it because he is not capable of reason at that point. I then feel helpless and confused. Then I start to fantasize about leaving him, which I don’t really want to do, and I start to think of all the things wrong with him and I forget about what’s good about him. It’s just that when he has these psychotic days, they’ll be really bad for 2-3 days and then he recovers. Anyone else have this experience with their significant other? Where your SO has intense outbursts for 2-3 days then is fine? How do you deal with your own anger?

2 Likes

Yes. I just try to be calm as possible to not make the situation worse.

3 Likes

Yes, if you read some of my past posts (I forget where they are) but my sz son (32) is mostly stable since he had been on the right meds for several years and we usually get along really well, but maybe once every 3 or 4 months he will just turn into somebody else…He will be beligerant and talk hateful toward me and all he wants is for me to magically (instantly) give him his own apartment, his own money, and his own car, none of this can happen like he wants it without him losing all the wellness, structure and stability he’s achieved. However, In the beginning I would get so emotional and even cry and maybe argue with him. I would be in shock that yesterday was fine and today was horrible. After several discussions with my own therapist, I realized if I don’t react and just steer clear of him as best I can…In 2 or 3 days he is back to his old loveable self and doesn’t seem to recall any “problems” and doesn’t mention it again until the next episode. It is a delusional episode…But since there are only 3 or 4 a year… They are manageable. The rest of the time he is generally kind, caring and cooperative…So I do understand. I don’t think I could keep control of my emotions during those times if I wasn’t actively working on that with my own counsellor. Self care is essential for us caregivers.

3 Likes