New to this forum and I need advice

My brother has always been a bit different, he saw things we didn’t and was terrified of being alone. He got into drugs at a fairly young age and kinda pushed away from the family. We love him and wanted to be with him, but he prefered drugs.

Fast foward to 3 years ago, he starts calling in the middle of the night saying he hears snakes. Snakess progressed to seeing dogs and being haunted. He moved 3 time because he was being haunted. Won’t get help.

Now he has called every night due to delusions some which cause him to lock himself outside in minus 20 c. He lost his job since he refused the help they offered him. He doesn’t understand he lost his job.

He is a naturaly violent person and I know he will hurt someone id he doesn’t get help soon. I would also like to go through a night with one of my family members needing to talk him down.What can I do?

Well, if he is in danger of hurting himself or someone else, I believe he can be involuntarily committed to a psychiatric facility and that might force him to get the help he needs. You can try to help him but take care of yourself too.

It might feel like a total betrayal to have him sectioned but the sooner it’s done then the sooner he can be diagnosed and prescribed medication - and the sooner he can start recovering - the longer it goes the more harm his illness will do his mind and the more time he can harm himself. Some things have to be done and doing the right things isn’t always easy. Good luck to you and all your family.

1. Get a copy of these books, read them and have your family read them, as well. (Torrey can be a bit totalistic and unwilling to see exceptions to his “rules” at times, but most of his book is really worth the effort to plough through.)
    http://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Schizophrenia-6th-Edition-Family/dp/0062268856
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Family-Guide-Schizophrenia/dp/1593851804/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=schizophren0c-20&linkCode=w00&linkId=XKLY6NWSWJSQ3VYN&creativeASIN=1593851804
  2. Get properly diagnosed by a board-certified psychopharmacologist who specializes in the psychotic disorders. One can find them at…
    Find Top Psychiatrists by State. and Find Psychiatrists, Psychiatric Nurses - Psychology Today
  3. Work with that “psychiatrist” (or “p-doc”) to develop a medication formula that stabilizes their symptoms sufficiently so that they can tackle the psychotherapy that will disentangle their thinking.
  4. Psychotherapies for that currently include…
    DBT – http://behavioraltech.org/resources/whatisdbt.cfm
    MBSR – Welcome to the Mindful Living Blog
    MBCT - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22340145
    ACT – ACT | Association for Contextual Behavioral Science
  5. the even newer somatic psychotherapies like…
    MBBT – An Introduction to Mind-Body Bridging & the I-System – New Harbinger Publications, Inc
    SEPT – Somatic experiencing - Wikipedia
    SMPT – Sensorimotor psychotherapy - Wikipedia
  6. or standard CBTs, like…
    REBT – Rational emotive behavior therapy - Wikipedia
    Schematherapy – Schema therapy - Wikipedia
    Learned Optimism – Learned optimism - Wikipedia
    Standard CBT – Psychotherapy | NAMI: National Alliance on Mental Illness & scroll down
  7. Get two or more of those “down,” and one can use the skills therefrom in this way to combat delusional thinking and emotional reactivity very quickly: 10 StEP – Pair A Docks: The 10 StEPs of Emotion Processing
  8. If you/she/he needs a professional intervention to get through treatment resistance, I would use those search tools in item 2 above. Look for clinics that include intervention and treatment resistance services.
  9. If you or your sz patient suddenly becomes manic: What to do when your depressed patient develops mania | MDedge Psychiatry?
  10. Look into the RAISE Project at Google.
  11. Look for mental illness clubhouses in your area (which can be hugely helpful… but may also pose risks). Dig through the many articles at Google to locate and investigate them.

I have been trying to convince my mother it needs to be done. She blames herself for both his illnesses and won’t get help. If it was just meander father involved this would have happened when he started claiming snakes were after him. Thank you for the kind words :slight_smile:

I hope your situation sorts itself out as easy as possible for you all.

Thank you! I just put both books on hold from then library. I copied all the information you gave me.