Offering of hope

I wanted to share my son’s story for those of you who are struggling to find hope. Three years ago my 20 year old son was in his second year of his freshman year in college when he became delusional, was arrested, hospitalized and diagnosed with schizophrenia. He immediately began treatment with a monthly injection of antipsychotic and regular therapy which he has continued constantly for three years. He also completely stopped all recreational drugs including weed. It took at least a year for him to seem like himself again. He experienced side effects from his medication and adjustments have been made along the way including switching from invega to ability monthly injections. He struggles with executive function, but with much support from his family and educational advisors, he just graduated with his Associates Degree and will be attending university and living on campus in the fall with the hopes of achieving a bachelor’s degree in sports journalism. He his a part time job working at our local minor league baseball team and occasionally spends time with friends playing baseball and music- he is a wonderful singer and songwriter. He struggles with intrusive thoughts but with the help of therapy and medication he recognizes that they are just thoughts.
Three years ago I didn’t know if he would ever leave the house again, drive a car or have the ability to conduct a “normal” conversation. I was terrified and hopeless. In my mind, schizophrenia meant his life was over, but I was wrong. The illness is a part of who he is, and he will have to manage it for the rest of his life. I know his path will not always be easy, but I am hopeful for his future. And hopeful for improved treatments to help end the suffering of those we love with schizophrenia.

12 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. My heart is filled with joy that your son is doing well. This has helped me so much just by reading this today. Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you @SEC for your post. I had goose bumps as I read it. You fought the good fight for your son and he is now doing so well, gosh graduating with an AA and going off to uni soon. I know how hard won each win is. Yes, keeping the hope alive is really the only way to plow forward in getting a grip on schizophrenia. I almost gave up several times when fighting for my daughter, but that flame of hope kept me going, as it did with you. Both of us have helped our loved ones, and now are offering hope on this site to others still battling the hell that is severe mental illness in a loved one. I hope you check in often in the future to offer more of your knowledge and your son’s successes.

1 Like

His recovery appears to be going very well @SEC. Drugs are just part of recovery and might be the easiest thing to do, although that’s certainly not true for everyone! The engaging-in-life part is just as important and a person has to figure out how to do it and be motivated.

2 Likes

This has been our story as well.At the the time of diagnosis, our daughter was 15. We went from the anguish of her diagnosis to immediate and consistent treatment. She was unable to finish highschool - even with an excellent therapeutic school - but she earned her GED. She lost 60 pounds. She went on to get a really good part-time job and promotion. She has her license and has a social life. She struggles daily with intrusive thoughts and high anxiety, and sometimes they get the better of her, but she has worked very hard with her therapist and psychiatrist to get to where she is. I’m still vigiant, and on some level waiting for it all to come undone. I try to stay positive.

I know that for many people here, their loved one is non-compliant with treatment and these outcomes still seem impossible - maybe even are impossible. But for those patients who will accept and work at treatment, there is hope. It may not be the life that we envisioned for our daughter, but she is building a life for herself.

So happy to hear your son is doing well.

4 Likes

I’m so glad it didn’t take years for him to be treated assertively and that he pursued to his degree on what he likes, medication and counseling helps but most of all he’s willing to do what it takes to accomplish his goals in spite of the difficulties life has thrown his way.
His story is inspiring and gives us hope!!!
Thank you for sharing with us.

2 Likes