PsyPost - Most men with borderline testosterone levels may have depression

BY THE ENDOCRINE SOCIETY ON MARCH 6, 2015

Men with borderline testosterone levels have higher rates of depression and depressive symptoms than the general population, new research finds. The results will be presented Saturday, March 7, at ENDO 2015, the annual meeting of the Endocrine Society in San Diego.

“Over half of men referred for borderline testosterone levels have depression. This study found that men seeking management for borderline testosterone have a very high rate of depression, depressive symptoms, obesity and physical inactivity,” said principal study author Michael S. Irwig, MD, FACE, associate professor of medicine and director of the Center for Andrology in the Division of Endocrinology at George Washington University in Washington, DC. “Clinicians need to be aware of the clinical characteristics of this sample population and manage their comorbidities such as depression and obesity.”

Two things raise testosterone naturally - sex and exercise. So both are good mood boosters for guys. (Mmm, maybe I’m a guy?)

A Hatty guy!

My doctor put me on testosterone almost a year ago and I have been less depressed, because of it I think, so it’s worked for me.

I have normal testosterone levels, but this kind of research sounds more credible than just the seretonin theory!

Good point!

@Mottec

I have low testosterone and suffer from bipolar depression, and I am far from being skinny.
Maybe there is something to this :smile: