Sad truth..hospitals and Intellectually Disabled

What a roller coaster week. Started a thread on weird side effects of APs and things quickly moved South to the point of on Monday we were ready to have DD put in hospital setting. Tuesday morning when I called local hospital, I was told they were not equipped for an intellectually disabled person. I was told to call another hospital and was told this, ’ we will take your daughter who will be placed wherever there is a bed available. She will be placed in general population with no provisions for her disability. There are no resources available to accommodate such a person. If I were you, and I had a daughter in your situation I would NEVER place her in a hospital setting in this area.’ this came from the person who oversees admission and hospital placements. I was so angry, so upset as was the empathetic person I just spoke with. Nada. Fortunately, once the Respiridol’s half life left her system she returned back to her new normal. We were convinced that new symptoms were presenting themselves. It went sort if like this, minute to minute mood swings. Screaming, would not eat because she was convinced I was feeding her dog food, cried hysterically, laughed then became so agitated she was hitting herself with her laptop. Then…REPEAT. I’m so grateful for the support of my immediate family because without them I’m not sure what I would have done under the circumstances. For some of us, there is little help if MI accompanies an intellectual disability-they are lost and forgotten about by our psychiatric communities. After further digging I was told she could be put on a list for a group home?!? Really? So today, although she is still talking to herself nonstop, she got up and ate get breakfast and took her supplements willingly, joked with me that my hair is going gray, made her bed and brushed her teeth. She took out the garbage when asked and has come to get several hugs and smiles. I’m so relieved this came and went quickly. I suppose I’ll stick with where we are currently, in psychosis, different from whom she once was but calm. I’ll take calm because over the past 6 days it was terrible. I have learned one thing from this experience that 4 months ago I never thought it could get worse and last week I was shown how quickly it can. I can and will do all I can to keep my DD calm and peaceful. Maybe someday, for just a moment or two I’ll get a glimpse of how things once were. If not, I’ll sit back, keep my memories in my heart and be grateful she is our daughter and grateful for the strong family unit I have to lean on.

1 Like

Correction…I called Monday morning, not Tuesday.

Thinking about you and sending positive wishes your way for you and your daughter. I am so very sorry for what both of you are going through. Hugs.

2 Likes

@Itsastruggle such kind words. Thank you.

I’n glad your daughter has calmed down some.
There are some inpatient units which accept people with severe delays or severe autism, but from what I’ve heard, you would have a long wait. If you found one, I wonder if they would have helpful insights about medication, compared to the usual unit. I forget if you said where you live. I know Kennedy Krieger is supposed to be good.
Best wishes❤️

@Hummingbird believe it or not we live in DFW area. I think that’s why it surprised me so much. But, she had totally calmed once we removed the Respiridol. As soon as the half life was out of her system her personality changed like a light switch.

1 Like

Hang in there!! You and your daughter deserve a break.

1 Like

That’s not dog food… lol
I wouldn’t put your picture online either or people who are really tech savvy will exploit you and your whole life … Especially if you are harassing people…
Tread lightly…
I would reconsider your motives here and move on.

I hope the tornado missed you! That looked really bad.

1 Like

I would enjoy that immensely, given my capability with computer systems I would feel sorry for them…

Yes, no tornado here. I did indeed have to drive through that system. Thanks for checking in.

1 Like

@TheSunshineMaras Guess I missed the nasty gram… Maybe I’m grateful I did.

2 Likes

Similar situation with my daughter. Took her off risperdal after genome testing said was bad for her but the vraylar & now invega with the anger/hostility still present. Really hope this is not just new progression of this disease we have been battling for 6 yrs now. Any hints on how to handle anger with delusions would be appreciated.

1 Like

learn to blow it off like it did not even happen, just go about your way while it happens, play along and assure her all is safe and no one will harm her…

2 Likes

I try hard to go with the flow when she’s raging. But when it goes over the top I ask her to please go outside or to her room. Most of the time (now) she complies and typically 5 minutes later she comes around a different person. It’s funny, I can deal with anger so much better than the crying and wailing. That just about tears my heart right out. And welcome, there is a wealth of information here.

Thanks folks. Really hard to blow it off or wait it out when screaming & breaking things.

1 Like

The breaking things really adds up over time. I actually put out “decoy” things for my son to throw. We are also down to all plastic dishes.

Sending you positive thoughts and hoping for some calmer days ahead.

1 Like

give it a few years, it will be easy…

@Bluejay yes, then I suppose my advice is irrelevant in that we haven’t experienced that. My heart goes out to those, and you, whom are having to figure out the best course of action. Rage for us is just screaming non- stop. Sending thoughts of hope through the internet… That’s all I have.

@GSSP does it ever get easy? I feel so often that if it doesn’t hurt, I’m becoming numb. I feel like I want to have empathy and show loving kindness but I also didn’t want to be on this roller coaster ride I feel like I’m on. I suppose it’s a matter of balance which I’ve yet to find. Accepting the things you cannot change but doing something with how you react to them?!? I don’t know and wish I did.