Shallco update, Son admitted again

I have posted many times on my son getting admitted. He once again is admitted for destruction. We went away for a week and when we got home the refrigerator / TV ( about 15th tv) were beat to death. The glass top on the stove was cracked. Plus more holes in wall. He stuck with the story that he had a party/ someone broke in and did it, so we call police. They ended up taking him to a 24hr hold, then he was admitted to the hospital he’s been in the last 3 times. His social worker from Medicaid came out to visit us before he was admitted. She contacted the Department of Aging (DOA) because she thought we were in danger. We are 65… considered seniors . DOA came out for assessment also. After seeing all his destruction , she agreed we are in danger, and he shouldn’t be living here with us. Again, the Dr at this particular facility refused to sign any papers for a court order for medications or for guardianship. Tomorrow he is being discharged to a “shelter home”. I am feeling so bad about him going to a shelter, especially since he is on meds and sounds halfway OK. But if we remain to do the same thing, discharge… refuses meds etc) then why will things change. Personally I think the will make his way back home, even though its an hour away. UUGGG I HATE this disease and what it does to the family, let alone my son… he didn’t ask for this. Thanks just had to vent to people who understand.

3 Likes

I don’t want to click “like”, but want to send support. You have been through so much. Hopefully there is some residential placement that would work for him. My sons with autism live in an ICF (group home) that fits their needs, but I don’t really know what is out there like that for our loved ones with severe mental illness. :heart:

1 Like

sending hugs , hang in there . :hugs:

1 Like

If they are med compliant, some of our family members on Medicaid do live in nursing homes.

3 Likes

Thanks. I wish there was a group home around here… there just isn’t

I am also sending support and hoping that you find a solution for your son’s housing.
:heart:

1 Like

I’m so so sorry @Shallcro, this is such a mongrel disease.

2 Likes

Hopefully the shelter will help find an assisted living he is qualified for, since he is on meds, and hopefully he will agree to go there. Though it is heartbreaking, you must allow the scenario to play out to its end. I don’t understand the doctor refusing to sign papers for court ordered meds though? Did you press charges? Is there a legal suit against your son?

1 Like

We did not press charges and no legal suit against. The Dr is a certified a*s. He a contracted Dr making big bucks, and doesn’t do anything to help the patients.

My son is currently on a very large dose of APs and willingly takes them because it stops the abusive voices and disturbing visual hallucinations. It’s night-and-day. No clearer evidence in my mind that SMI is a neurobiological disease that must be treated with drugs.

If he won’t take the meds because he doesn’t think he needs to, then there has to be some other motivation. One condition of him living with you is that he must take his meds and you must witness him taking them. He has to agree to this or otherwise must stay in the shelter.

3 Likes

After going thru hell with this behavior center he was in, he was discharged to home. Only to find out the only antipsychotic drug prescribed was an injection, which he refuses. They didn’t provide him with any medication, so for 3 days now he had had none, we have medical POA. But we were told nothing. The dr told my son he doesn’t talk to family members. I am so pissed off. Their are no words. I called the mental health “ help line” at a out pt center, only to find out he does have an appointment September 13 for an assessment, then will have to to wait another week or 2 for an appointment with a NP, by then he will be in psychosis again. I am so tired of fighting with this mental health system i could cry, actually have cried.

1 Like

So very sorry for your pain and heartache. I and many other parents can relate.

2 Likes

This is so typical. :angry: 7-10 days then a discharge. Will your son take oral APs? If so, try to get him something ASAP that has worked in the past. I agree, I don’t think you can wait 2-3 weeks. I think NPs can prescribe meds. Maybe there is one locally or even by a telehealth visit who can write a prescription.

Olanzapine is doing my son a lot of good even though it is one of the worst for metabolic side effects.

3 Likes

Try and stay strong. This is such a devastating disease. We had to go to the justice of the peace and had the police pick up my son and take him to the hospital. We had to do this 5 times the last time he was there for three months.
Would you be able to do this. He’s been on medication now for 2 years and doing well.

4 Likes

I found out that he was given an injection of ARISTADA on August 30th, in the inpatient facility. It is supposed to be a every 2 month injection. I was surprised he took it, and why didn’t he tell us. Is anyone familiar with this, His behavior isn’t much different, but no destruction… yet.

3 Likes

Oh @Shallcro so much stress and worry for you. At least the injection is a 2 month shot, so hopefully the path forward will enable a 2nd shot or other meds for him before he slips into psychosis again. Glad you found out about the Sept 13 appt. I hope things go well.

3 Likes

Update on my son. He remains to refuse injection. We had some Invega 9mg from many admissions ago. I told him he HAD to take that or we would take him to a shelter . He actually has been taking it for me every day. He also is in 10mg Valium twice a day, which he thinks is his miracle drug. I have control of it and dispense it to him. Also he takes something for depression. He also has been cooperating in the services available to him. One program are peers ; who have been in his situation. He is waiting for another program (6-8 month wait) . That program will provide much more person to person help. My goal is for housing for him. So things are definitely looking up and I’m so grateful, as its been a ling time coming. I just pray he continues to cooperate.

2 Likes

Just because your son did not ask for this disease does not mean you have to live with him. Your situation sounds intolerable! In my opinion this is a curse and it should not ruin your life. Your sons life is already ruined.

1 Like

Problem is I can’t put my son on the street.

I understand that. My parents did everything to keep my brother in an apartment for all of his schizophrenic life. He lives 1 mile from them. They could NEVER put him on the street because there would be no such thing. He would just come to their house. He relies on them for food and clothing. He comes to their house every day.
So there is no keeping him out. My dad died 3 years ago and my mom has dementia and I have an aide with her. I do what I do for my brother ( have someone clean, give him clothes and feed him) so that there is no possibility he can get evicted and end up in my moms house. He and I are lucky that my parents were able to pay for another apartment for him for 33 years now. He gets disability, so that helps pay part of the rent. I truly understand what it feels like for you as a parent. I cannot even think about putting my brother on the street, and I do not have to live with him. But ultimately your son is a burden to you. No one should have to think about making those choices. It is a curse.

1 Like