Should I keep trying or let it all play out?

Once my daughter was placed in her own apartment, and off conservatorship she stopped taking her meds and started self medication with alcohol and drugs. Last time I visited her she was a mess, her apartment was a mess. I could tell she had been smoking inside because her floors had burn marks and her bed did as well. My parents and I have tried to get her to go back to the hospital with no luck. Her former case manager/therapist told my parents her hands are tied because after being released from conservatorship she redacted our rights to know about her care. She also said there is nothing she can do to help my daughter. She said just document what you see and if she ends up back in the hospital I will need your feedback. So, due to the stress and heartache my parents and I have stopped visiting my daughter and instead let her reach out to us. Basically, the case manager is saying let it play out. I’m too close to the situation to know what is right. Any feedback from family or those diagnosed on if we are making the right decision.

This is a sadly common problem that is heartbreaking if you go in either direction - my heart goes out to you and your family.

There are no easy answers. Let me give you some info that we have on our site from other families in similar situations:

There is no “right” answer. Every person and family is different - what works for some people doesn’t work for others. I wish I could be of more help. Perhaps she has some friends that you can still talk to - to keep up on how she’s really doing - and then work hard to get help when she seems to be having a psychotic episode.

1 Like