Tell us how you are today?

I live in ohio so I am not 100% sure what the involuntary commitment laws are and I hope I dont have to know. Our local police / EMS are aware of her condition and told her and I that if she calls again for any of the noises etc… they will take her to the hospital and pink slip her for a 72 hr hold. they were very clear about that. So they must have the authority and quite frankly I would sign off, which would be the hardest thing I’ve ever done. She hasnt ever been violent no matter how “crazy” she has ever gotten even before her dx. That being said i guess you really dont know what can happen.

I’m just mentally and emotionally exhausted from this last couple of weeks and I was as terrible as this sounds looking at having a break for at least 3 days so that our son and I could heal ourselves.

I just dont understand why in 3 separate cases where they knew she was not functioning well, off her meds and having delusions, hearing things, and a panic attack that they didnt keep her.

Gonna be a long ass weekend

I’m going to have to watch “Strange Voices”, I haven’t seen it since the 80’s. “Promise” broke some record for winning awards - I need to watch it also

I was with my son when he assualted the neighbor, I had no idea that he was even capable of hurting another human life. It has been almost 3 years since his assualt. We are in limbo between the judicial system and the state hospital. I would not wish this on anyone.
So to all you reading this post, do whatever it takes to intervene, no matter how harsh it seems. You could be preventing another horrible act from your loved one.
It seems harsh for me to say this, my son is the 1% , the worst thing a parent can face.
AnnieNorCal
Edit: my apologies again, having some really bad moments. Awaiting another hearing for Lou, Nov 14th.

2 Likes

I agree @AnnieNorCal that taking action at any threat of danger is important and that it is good you tell others of your son’s situation. You are brave to share where others might be (and are) hiding their valuable knowledge. This site is a blessing for all of us willing to open our eyes and try to handle the psychosis that gets ignored sometimes by professionals.

@Enehamkin I suggest you find out what the laws are in Ohio, and if possible contact NAMI for help/advice. You are right to want your wife in the hospital for help, and a 72 hour hold might be the beginning of betterment for your current situation. The first time I called the police to request an involuntary hold for my daughter, I felt like a traitor. Since then, there have been 4 holds and the result is that now she contains her psychosis better, even if she doesn’t think she is ill or agree to take meds.

Good luck sorting this out and protecting your family.

I will be thinking of you on the 14th. It is just about the worst thing for a parent, to not be able to help your kid.

I am doing okay, hanging in there.
Thank you all, really appreciate the support AnnieNorCal

1 Like

Today I am hopeful and grateful. Our community held a workshop this weekend aimed at starting a community conversation about mental illness. It was pretty well attended, the content of the workshop put on by NAMI was interesting, but the best thing that came out of it for me was the interest shown for a support group for family members of those living with mental illness.
Yay! It’s difficult for me to get to the larger metro area where the NAMI groups areand having a group in our small community (12,000 people) is a wonderful prospect.
I visited my son in the hospital Friday night and took him a good meal and we played Scrabble and talked about the work he’s doing to move up in the level system in his program.
And I also went to my sister’s house, and she treated me to two nice restaurant meals and drinks, so I learned something and also had some fun this weekend. Hopeful and grateful, that’s me today.

1 Like

Not having a good week. My son is 23 years old and unmedicated. His behavior is so odd and I’m so worried about the lack of a future he deserves. The guilt and helplessness i feel is overwhelming.

@wamac, sounds like life is good for you now. Every small step helps. It is fantastic to have a NAMI meeting in your own community. Every step towards eliminating stigma is valuable.

Here in California, we are overwhelmed by bad news from the mass shootings to the devastating fires. So many homes destroyed. Thankfully, my community is not impacted, but the news is making many of us anxious and depressed.

1 Like

Sigh. I totally understand, having an unmedicated daughter with very odd behavior. I hope you can find a way to realize that you should not feel guilty about his illness. You didn’t cause it. I agree that the illness in our loved one makes us feel helpless and overwhelmed. It would be very odd if you didn’t feel that way at times. Do try and take some time for yourself.

1 Like

I apologize if it bothers people that I always talk to myself in this thread.

Lots of things today.
My girlfriend took a tumble and is nursing a mild concussion. She is very resillient, so I expect her to be back up to 100% before the holidays. This happening shortly after having the flu has her feeling sick and tired of lounging on the sofa, though.
I do what I can to make it easier for her.

My DX’d brother is still struggling with low energy and low drive to chase goals, but he is making appointments and making slow progress.
We will see how the year wraps up for him.

My Sister is hosting Thanksgiving this year and has allowed my girlfriend to take the reigns on the majority of dishes. I will be crafting a dessert beverage - one flavor alcoholic for those old enough and not medicated, and one flavor virgin for the medicated and the kiddles.
It will be fun to knock some of the rust off the old bar-tending skills!

The flood began at work today. If I had used my “crystal ball” for how life just is, I would have predicted that work would have gotten tough at the same time other parts of life did, too.
Nothing I can’t handle with a little determination and bravado, haha!

Overall, at the end of the day. I’m ready for a cup of tea and an early bedtime. Phew! I’m beat!

2 Likes

Coming to terms with the fact that I didn’t cause his illness is difficult because then I hate that I have no one to blame or can’t put the responsibility on myself. Not that I wish I caused it… don’t know if I’m making much sense. Just trying to cope best I can. I thank you for your understanding. I think this site may really help me in a way nothing else has so far…

1 Like

Hello sportalatin,
It’s makes perfect sense to be angry or want to blame this on something!
It is so unfair for all of us here. I hope as you come to terms, each small step, that you can adjust and accept.
I can relate to how unfair this illness is and just want to reach out to comfort you.
Thank you for your post, AnnieNorCal

1 Like

I’m feeling grateful today.

Yesterday my son and I spent time with a family who has started inviting him over once a week for dinner. It was one of the kids’ birthdays. My son had picked out some nice books to give her. It was just a happy rowdy time, with kids bouncing balloons to each other, and including my son in the fun. I was so gratified to just watch him participate in the simple activity of children’s play.

7 Likes

How am I today?

I know I’ve not contributed to this forum much recently, but I’ve lurked and have so appreciated the reaching out of newcomers and old timers. We are all the same. We are all on the same journey.

Truth be told, I’ve been struggling with grief, especially the anger stage, and any semblance of hope. It’s been rough. I’m one of those people that needs to hide in the corner when the pain gets to be too much. That’s just me.

Today, my son said some words to the doc and he then took some actions to follow through. I’m sorry for sounding cryptic. I just don’t want to jinks things.

Please wish us luck or pray for us. Thank you. Peace.

8 Likes

Wishing you both luck, and I’ve said a prayer.

2 Likes

Don’t give up. Talk to the doctor. The meds may need to be tweaked. CBT or other therapy can help manage the voices.

1 Like

Saw this quote this weekend - can’t really tell where it came from. It had an original source, yet it looks like the text has been changed.

In the end, what matters most is, how well did you love, how well did you live and how well did you learn to let go?

Figuring out what to let go, so that we can help our family members, is not easy. First we have to figure out what we need to let go then we have to figure out how to let it go.

4 Likes

Thanks @hope it is a good quote, especially about learning to let go. I found that when I let go of my now-too-high expectations for my daughter and just accept what is, that I do better. And I get surprised by little things I don’t expect: like she remembered my birthday and got me a gift.

5 Likes

I think MY brain relaxed and changed its focus when I learned to let go of things I wanted to control or cure for my son. Its so hard because our inner parent wants to fix everything and make it right.

5 Likes