When the delusion is aimed at us

It is possible that a lot of father/son relationships are complicated. Add in a mental illness and of course that is a formula for disaster from time to time. Before my husband left me, I used to be the middle man between him and children. Since attending divorce care I have realized that was NEVER my job. It sounds like your husband and son really love each other. Maybe they will work it out on their own in time.
I would reassure my son that everybody knows he is not a paedophile, and you know he is not that kind of man.
Also, could alchohol have been a trigger for these worries?

2 Likes

Thank you and glad the divorce car helped you .
Yes I constantly reassure him no one even thinks that if him . Also yes I think the alcohol could have the effect on him.
It’s so difficult isn’t it. Had a good day today and he and I watched Netflix for hours with our dog laying beside us as was a rainy cool day ,

1 Like

It did take me a long time, and personal counseling, to overcome how awful I felt about myself due to my sons’ delusional stories about me. It hurt so much. Now, if he does get on a roll with me, expressing anger, I can honestly listen, or half listen, and as he afterwards apologizes “for attacking” me , I now tell him that his words do not hurt me now. I explain that I had to learn to not take it personally. BUT this all happens by phone now, at quite a distance. I do hope that your help comes soon… for all of you.

3 Likes

You said they had drinks on the train. It is my understanding that those living with psychosis should not use drugs or alcohol as it makes symptoms worse. Could this be the case? The drink he had triggered this?

Definitely should not be drinking alcohol, the thing was he didnt actually say anything to the guy on the train, this was days later, but yes alcohol seems to be a big trigger.

My son didnt drink that regularly but when he did sometimes he would go way over the top.
He did something the other night, he had just 2 cans of beer, then saved the other two till a couple of nights later, he would not have done that before.