Back at hospital

His Pdoc suggested it and I believe he made it three months. There was still some laughing and talking aloud but if someone else was over, he would engage. The last shot, he wouldn’t take and it was wasted. His doctor still advises the injection but he won’t have it. He doesn’t seem to learn from past events. I’m going to try to persuade him and even bribe him for the shot.

1 Like

I remember at the end my husband was saying that it wasn’t effective also. I have notes all over the place but have yet to gather them on one place. I might try using my phone notes like Doctor does.

1 Like

We have never had a good outcome when we asked for a cit officer. My son is never helped but arrested and sent to jail. We will probably never call and ask for a cit officer again.

2 Likes

I’m so sorry to hear that. If they tried to arrest my son they might have to take me too. Thank you for sharing and reminding us how scary that can go when we call police. I don’t call them unless I have to but each time it is a crap shoot on how it is going to go. I hope I don’t have to again but it likely will happen again.

If I am near, they will have to put me in handcuffs and drag me away if they ever choose to take my family member to jail again during a serious psychotic episode.

Different states, different cities, different training, different officers… Sometimes it can go okay. Once CIT officers took my family member to the hospital and admitted.

1 Like

It was a CIT officer who told me on Tuesday night that he agreed to go to the hospital with me. After he just broke out a window they expected me to drive him one hour on the expressway to the hospital. J asked him how he would feel if we didn’t make it. My gut told me NO and I said “thanks but no thanks. My husband said that we’ll take him in the morning. Hope we’re still here.” Good night. The next day called again and officers arrived. This time I didn’t calm him down for their arrival. In five minutes they said “we’re going to take him on down to University Hospital.”

3 Likes

So stressful for all of you, your son included. The hospital my son goes to is only minutes away, and I have still been fearful of taking my son when he is psychotic.

@lmr, I have learned that much depends on what I say to the police on how they respond. Even if my son strikes me again, I will not report that directly, but rather report in terms of the potential for self harm or POTENTIAL harm to others. On one occasion, when my son struck me - thinking I was cooperating with the military or some such delusion - they said they were required by the city to press charges.

1 Like

Well, add me to the back in the hospital club.

He’s been getting sicker every day since the Invega shot appeared to wear off last week. This morning he had a pdoc appt but kept asking to go to the hospital. He kept the appt, but still wanted to go so she agreed with him and I took him.

He changed his mind about 2 miles from the hospital, but he went in anyway & they did another involuntary hold.
Still not threatening suicide or to harm anyone else, but they told him he was in a psychotic break and it wasn’t safe for him to be at home so they would keep him until they got his meds straight.

3 Likes

Ditto. Had to Baker Act him today.

January 2017 can go suck a big fat one.
It’s been an awful month.

2 Likes

Lawl, yupperz. :disappointed_relieved:

I’m glad he agreed to stay and get his meds straight. My attempt at involuntary commitment for my son was an epic fail! He was back home within hrs of the officers taking him in! They said he didn’t qualify to be held!! I feel so disappointed in my counties mental illness program!! I’ve done all I can do. I know this now. But I can’t stand by and watch him destroy himself, or me for that matter. If he acts out again my only other avenue is to file a restraining order on him and just kick him out. I really hate to do that but I’ve exhausted every other option! Praying your son gets his meds straight and y’all both begin to feel a little peace!

2 Likes

Agree, should we all burn that page of the calendar at midnight? I’m so sorry. You did all you could. Ill pray for all of us. That is about all I can do right now.

1 Like

Well - he was only voluntary until he got within 2 miles of the hospital.
He was so flat he didn’t show any emotions, but he just kept saying let’s go home - at that point, he was just too far gone & we’d already seen the pdoc and skipped his shot. He would have taken it, but I didn’t want him to get the 117 mg shot that was clearly not enough.

I think he needs to be re-inducted with the 230 mg/156 mg combo over the next 5 to 7 days.
His pdoc thinks that’s too much, but agrees he either needs more or needs to have the shot more often.
We’ll see what the hospital doctor thinks.

I think for now 156 mg/every 3 weeks would be his maintenance dose. I’ve went over my notes, done the math, and that’s what I think he’ll need for this to work. We’ll see if that’s where he ends up.

2 Likes

I thought the same for my son. It just wasn’t enough.

3 Likes

I’m determined to try every combination of duration & dosage to get him back to that good 2 weeks we had.

I’ll just dig in & not give up until he’s prescribed the right thing. I hate he had to go back to the hospital, but I certainly don’t mind using it as leverage since the “experts” kept telling me to trust them and this is where it got him.

Now, maybe they need to listen to me.

He wasn’t going to go into his appt today, but I’m glad he did. They got to see how sick he is.

Besides, I’m desperate. If this doesn’t work, I don’t know what we’ll try. If I can get him to take pills, it’ll only be a matter of time before he’s non-compliant.

2 Likes

Yes you will keep trying and not give up. I tell myself that our children know when the really sick. I’m sorry it’s so disheartening to see professionals just let them fall apart like that I’ve had it happen. The first time I switched doctors but after a while you run out of doctors. Hang in there and keep us posted. I know you weren’t ready for this.

2 Likes

I like this doctor, but it’s only the 3rd time she’s seen him.

It’s just a matter of breaking her in. And, I’m about to be all over whoever approves disability.
If I can get that approved, and get him into this intensive program, things will be a little different.

That means I need to get all over the intensive program people too.

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for the call back from the person who assigns a case worker. I’ve left two messages and will keep trying.

2 Likes

Every now & then, when I get really frustrated with something like that, I just show up & tell them I’m having a problem getting someone to call me back.

Then say that I’d like to wait until the person I’m looking for, or a manager/supervisor, has time to talk to me.

It does the trick most of the time.

3 Likes