Breaking up with a schizophrenic

I hope things work out for you. I bet it is hard to see where you stand with him. Take care

I know this is an old post, but, I am in the same position now. My bf just left for work and when he gets home tonight, I am going to ask him to move out. I can’t handle the highs and lows any more. Especially with my son around. When we first met he was the most amazing man I had ever known. Two months after dating he had his first mental brake with me and that was when I discovered his mental illness. Being the co-dependent that I am, I knew I could help him find peace and happiness. Now it has been three years and I just can’t do it any more. I haven’t seen the happy self in more than a month now. His good days and bad days are all over the place. More bad day than good. On his bad days he says the most awful and hurtful things to me. I know deep down he doesn’t mean them, but hearing it day after day has worn me down. I’m glad I found this page to vent.
Thank you for reading.
Melissa

4 Likes

I am so sorry Melissa. Our family members are often amazing people when not besieged by their brain disorder.

Love can’t make the lows stop happening. If it could, all our family members would be well.

We love them so much and we want the scz to stop.

Take care of your son.

1 Like

We totally understand, Melissa. A person can only take so much verbal abuse, whether it’s due to mental illness or not. It just gets old.

As someone on this forum said awhile back, we have to learn “the art of detachment”. It’s so true, but it’s also easier said than done.

Good luck with this upcoming change.

2 Likes

My ex , he also schizophrenia, been hospitalised for two years before when he was 27, now he is 36, purpose move away from his family and the city I live in so he doesn’t have to deal with interpersonal relationship.

He used to have many medical help and professional help back home , he said nothing helped, and he refused to get help at our city .

We broke up yesterday, it’s the 5th time he ask for breakup in our 1.5 years of relationship, this time I feel like it’s really over. We still love each other very much , he doesn’t cheat , he doesn’t heavily drink , but he is always at home, he said he wants to be in his “bubbles”. I have always been accepting and let him be him. I know it’s noy his fault , and being schizophrenic is not what defines who is and I love him so dearly despite what he has.

Even though it’s been so many time , every time when it happens , it still hurts me so much. I never expected and ask much from him because I know he might now be able to provide, but it’s ok for me , I accept everything and anything he has.

He said cutting off people has been the most effective way he “survived” life , and from time to time he needs to be cut off and “unswitched” as he said. Everytime he said break up , I will eventually show up to his house. So for him, break up is not most serious thing , he always said people get back together all the time after breakups.

This is the fifth time, and he has another break down again ,I ask him , what he wants , his answer is always “I don’t know “ .
All I want to know it’s , after he got better , does he still want us, if yes I will be there , despite anything, I will give him time like before. Even just such a simple answer of yes and no, all I got still is “I don’t know “ . And finally I forced him the “break up” out of him. I don’t know whether I should keep showing up like before ? Maybe I should give up this time ?

yep, like the movie groundhog day, caught in a time loop for the rest of your life…