Co parenting is overwhelming

So my child’s father is on and off meds . Our baby is 1 and just recently we got Into an altercation about meds . I told him he can’t come around the baby until he is taking his meds everyday ! He goes on this rant and starts name calling I had to literally push him out of my house .

I get a phone call 3 days later from his grandmother she is saying I slapped him and she just starts saying all of these lies he told her ! He told her my house was dirty , he told her I don’t take care of my kids all types of lies and for some reason she believed him ! His mom even text me saying ima fat bitch and he’s better off not around me and I’m confused as to what did he tell these people to make them think these things are true! I’m trying to find a way to have his parental rights taken away because this entire situation is too much for me or my child to go through . He told me he didn’t want my child if he couldn’t have me ! And that statement speaks volumes

Don’t even waste your time talking to his family members. Period. When they call just say “I need to keep my peace of mind. I do not wish to talk to you”. And hang up. It is tempting to keep the conversation, but do not. Stay strong, you may need to do a protection order to keep him off. This could be an incentive for him to get back to meds.

Yes. You are so right ! I instantly went into defensive mode knowing it wasn’t true what they were saying but it only made it worse! I’m going to look into this protection order tomorrow ! Thank you so much

This is what I’m afraid of. Im 5 months pregnant and my partner has been out of the hospital for about a month. His symptoms came to head about a month after we found out i was pregnant and it took another couple months for things to spiral to a point where his family finally called and was able to get him a psych hold. Up until recently he seemed to be doing good taking his meds and avoiding alcohol but he has admitted to stopping them and was sneaking alcohol the last few days, now his mental state is just completely off. I cant tell how honest he is about having taken his meds or not. Today he said he did, he said he did, he said he did and then he said took them yesterday. The last two-three days hes been acting so strange and i had to leave because its hard to deal with. Making guttural animal-like noises, twitching and throwing his body around suddenly, ups and downs of happy and angry over courses of seconds, going on rants about being a god, or having people after him, or starting in on me calling me a liar and a cheater. The look in his eyes is clearly not his normal self. Since he seemed to have not taken his meds today i was able to find them and get him to take his nightly dose. But i wonder if he did take them and forgot or didnt know bc of his state, or if he even really had taken them yesterday. In reading them he is supposed to take once a day but i swear he told me he takes at least one of them twice a day, so he is probably mismanaging his doses. He is acting like a total brat currently, no logic and temper tantrums and very childlike. Im frustrated that i have so many questions about this and his reactions and how to handle what is going on but no medical professional to turn to. The hospital released him with a little bit of paperwork, a loose game plan of following up with county psych and no consultation with family about what we should do to monitor him and help. I cant see how this could lead to success for ANYONE needing mental help. I have decided to make sure i see him at least once an evening to administer the dose myself and maybe have his family keep his meds so we can better regulate them and not risk him overdosing. But i feel he stopped because he was doing so well for a while and this is the spiral of his disbelief that he needs them due to feeling better. He is also so immature and selfish when he gets to this state and it is hard to trust that he will have the discipline to cut this sh*t out when our baby is born. Im currently on the hunt for more answers bc i feel i know so little about how to navigate this as a caretaker, so how could he navigate it as the one going through it?

Anyway, @Dracc123 can i ask how things have been for you and baby these last few months?

1 Like

Mentally and physically you have to make sure you are ok . If you feel like things are too much talk with his family about helping with his meds . I’m doing ok , some days are normal most are not . But it’s just a learning process for me . I had to learn that I have to make sure my baby is ok before anything

1 Like

@Jane16 this is intense for me to read, and I’m not even living it. I don’t think any of us are a match for a mentally ill adult’s mind. They’re going to do what they, or unfortunately sometimes, what their voices are telling them to do. From what you describe, I’m pretty sure he’s not taking his meds.

My reaction is that you should get away if you have anywhere to go to. If not, and I don’t know anything about women’s shelters, but that might be your only option. Being 5 months pregnant and protecting your unborn baby’s health is more than enough for you to focus on.

1 Like

I do not live with him and my priority is to stay safe. I was hopeful to help him navigate his new medications so he could be adjusted and be present for his daughter when she arrives. I am realizing that he not only is very irresponsible in how he manages taking his prescriptions, but he is an alcoholic throughout it all which is what takes things to their worst. These last several days he has been asking his sister to communicate to me that he loves me but is not feeling well enough to see me. She agrees that it seems like he is drinking. He lies about it up to a point and then eventually admits what he has been up to. He admitted it just after I wrote my last post here and no doubt will try to come around at some.point and again admit to it as part of his process of asking for help and forgiveness. But yes I agree that none of this is appropriate for a soon to be mother and baby to have in our environment. I am coming to terms with the fact that i am going to be doing this without his support and am setting myself up for years of letdowns if I want to believe otherwise.

1 Like