Home, Diag Forum, About, Contact Us, FAQ

Completely lost what to do

The reality is that very ill people sometimes go off their meds and it’s really hard on them.

You’re right @RBaker that not every person on earth needs psych meds, but some of our family members are so ill and dangerous to themselves (and even sometimes others) that effective medication can make the difference between life and death.

No one is against trying other things like supplements and exercise and other ways to help, but for us, we have to be really careful in always supporting medication as it can and does save lives and makes better quality of life in the long run.

True schizophrenia is a chronic illness and anyone who recovers fully from psychosis does not have the type of illness our family members have.

Admin already posted this today:
https://www.pm360online.com/managing-schizophrenia-as-a-chronic-disease-linked-to-better-outcomes/

THE LINK IS TRUE. We caregivers are trying to do the best we can. My family member’s court-ordered medical treatment is not ideal, has some rough side effects, and is approximately one thousand or one million times better than the illness in its most active and debilitating stages. In a life and death situation, we are so happy the court worked to save our beloved child’s life.

Anyone is 100% welcome here as long as they can be supportive of people who need to take medication for their illnesses.

How did your family member get court ordered medical treatment?

By committing a crime and the court understanding he is not a criminal, but was extremely ill with psychosis.

@cfromm Guardianship can be helpful. You can control where the person lives. With a conservatorship, which is a separate financial part of a guardianship (or with no other financial resources) you can control funds and use that as a tool to encourage med or other compliance (such as the lab monitoring). (Note that these terms are used differently in different states, and guardianship laws vary by state and maybe even by locality, I’m not sure.) Where we live, you or the doctor cannot force meds even with a guardianship. The best hope I know of is to use psychology to help the person gain insight into their need for help. L.E.A.P. is a strategy presented by Dr. Xavier Amador in his book “I’m Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help”. Listen/Empathize/Agree/Partner. You can see information about this online and order the book if you want to. https://www.youtube.com/user/LEAPInstituteOrg. I was interested to listen just today on this site to the recently posted video showing an example of a trusted counselor convincing a patient to take a long-term injectable. (Note: Be sure to watch the video ALL THE WAY TO THE END.) There are also many other posts online about this. Also, some persons gain insight over time.

Thank you so much for all this info. It is very helpful.