Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Finding a reputable doctor in Massachusetts


Hello everyone, I am new to this site. My daughter was diagnosed 2years 4months ago. She was 30 at the time and living in another state. She has been in and out of our care and she is returning home this month after about 8months of being homeless. I am looking for treatment centers and doctors on the south shore (Quincy, Weymouth, Cohassett, Scituate or Hingham) where she can receive the appropriate treatment. If anyone has any recommendations for day centers or doctors in these areas I would appreciate the feedback. I have tried several when she has been home before but I have not found them to be satisfactory. Any advice/information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.


I hope you are able to find a good doctor for your daughter.

I go to NAMI family support group and that is how I finally found a doctor who is good for my family member. is the website and they have chapters everywhere. Social workers know their stuff; call a local hospital or the local mental health crisis line and talk to one. Also, listen really closely when they talk because sometimes they are not allowed to make recommendations or referrals, but they will say something like, “For example,…”

I know people who have had great experiences with doctors who did not fit with my family member. It’s all very individual, as you know.

Good luck.


Thank you for the advice. Are you on the south shore? I will try the hospital and I have already spoken to my therapist and my primary care. I also read “Surviving Schizophrenia” by E. Torrey and I’m Not Sick, I Don’t Need Help by Dr. X. Amador, both great and useful generally but nothing specific for this area of the U.S. I wish you and your family well.


I am in another state; I just hoped some of my strategies would work for you.

All best and I think you will find someone if you keep looking.

My mum's illness

Contact social services in your area to get some names. May have to try the nearest big city.


Thanks bridgetcomet. I have contacted social services (, I appreciated the advice though. I guess I was hoping for someone to actually give me a name of someone whom they had actually had experience with. I will keep searching.

My mum's illness

NAMI Mass would be a terrific resource. You might also contact McLean Hospital - too far away for you - but they could make a South Shore recommendation.

My mum's illness