I can't stop crying because I can't handle it any more

I’m glad you found some reasonable options. It sounds as if the hospital is doing a good job caring for your daughter, waiting for the community team to be set up. They will be be a big help to you once she’s out. I hope you’re feeling more at peace now.

2 Likes

After my son got over being mad at me for taking part in his last involuntary admission he explained a bit about hospitalization…and it saddened me.

He went in psychotic. He refused meds and hired an attorney to fight his admission. (delusions of civil rights being trampled on). What he heard from the other patients —well MI are not dumb. They know they are in a hospital for MI. Many of them do not really think the hospital really cares or helps. And they talk amongst themselves. They share the “secrets of getting out”. I am not saying hospitalization does not have it’s place, just what he told me burst another bubble. What saddened me is this must be common knowledge…and it appears to work.

I have observed this also (talk amongst the patients about “getting out” and being held against their will). The best advice I can give is to stay firm with boundaries and if your goal is to get your loved one to take medication or even just to do other things that you want, use LEAP (Listen, Empathize, Agree, Partner). If you are not familiar with that, read the book “I Am Not Sick; I Don’t Need Help”.

1 Like

That’s a good one and I agree.