Medication question alternative meds?

I am new here. My 36-year-old son has paranoid schizophrenia. My question is about medications. He is on a monthly injection of invega sustena. This med has caused significant weight gain for my son. Is there another med that works well with the paranoid schizophrenia that doesn’t have the weight gain side effect? My son is also categorized as disabled and is on medicare, so we cannot afford a lot. I am also worried that he may now be diabetic. Pat H. of Olympia, WA

If you want to avoid weight gain, try this simple technique: Avoid adding butter or margarine to foods. Mayo seems okay here apparently.

This works because of how blood sugar is destabilized: The glucose uptake pathways get clogged with fats, which prevents the glucose from being used by the body sufficiently, and it ends up accumulating in the blood causing high blood sugar and blood pressure.

The workaround here is the first suggestion, and the fiber “beta glucan”, which is a component of oats, this can clean out said pathways.

I bought the fiber in bulk and just dose that when my blood pressure is too high. I bought my mom’s blood pressure down from the high 180s systolic to where it is now, around 120, by supplementing that a few times a week. It is incredibly effective.

We are in the same boat with my daughter with the invega sustena injection causing weight gain and other bad side effects.Her dr in the hospital prescribed her Metformin to take which I guess can help with weight gain bc it does something with your blood sugar. My daughter refused to take it after a week so I’m not sure if it works or not for her bc she didn’t really give it a chance but I’m trying to work with her on taking it again bc she is having such a hard time with the weight gain and it really has her down. I’ll let you know if anything changes or if we change to another medication that works better. Good luck with everything

I think you need to take him to his family doctor for a blood test with a metabolic panel to check for glucose levels, lipids (triglycerides) and cholesterol.

Blood monitoring is a must-do. There are medications such as Metformin and Gemfibrozil for triglycerides. My son takes both of them.

The family doc should be in communication with his psychiatrist and between the two they need to get the levels of blood sugar and fats under control.

1 Like

My son has gain weight with all the antipsychotics, he’s been on haldol, ziprexa, quetiapine, respiradone, Abilify and one of his friends is on Geodon and overweight; right now my son goes unmedicated and he eats constantly out of anxiety but looks like what he eats is evaporated. Diabetes runs on both sides of the family, medication can detonate diabetes on him I’m aware of that but he also needs the meds.

Hi holiday, I wonder if the doctor at the hospital prescribed metformin to your daughter because he knew she’s diabetic already or because he wanted to prevent it; my husband (not diagnosed with a mental health issue yet) is diabetic and he takes metformin for it; metformin is not for controling the weight gain, it helps to bring down the sugar levels in the blood.

1. About metformin

Metformin is a medicine used to treat type 2 diabetes, and to help prevent type 2 diabetes if you’re at high risk of developing it.

Metformin is used when treating polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), although it’s not officially approved for PCOS.

Type 2 diabetes is an illness where the body does not make enough insulin, or the insulin that it makes does not work properly. This can cause high blood sugar levels (hyperglycaemia).

PCOS is a condition that affects how the ovaries work.

Metformin lowers your blood sugar levels by improving the way your body handles insulin.

It’s usually prescribed for diabetes when diet and exercise alone have not been enough to control your blood sugar levels.

For women with PCOS, metformin lowers insulin and blood sugar levels, and can also stimulate ovulation.

Metformin is available on prescription as tablets and as a liquid that you drink.

• I googled it

My son is very resistant to the meds I can’t imagine him having diabetes on top of the sz!

I’m sorry you have to deal with 2 hard issues here.

Hugs and prayers.

Hello rosyd. Thank you for the reply. My daughter isn’t diabetic although yes you’re correct, Metformin is a medication prescribed for diabetics. It’s the assistance w/ helping the blood sugar in the body that Metformin possibly helps w/ assistance in weight gain that anti psychotics cause.
You can google for more information if it’s of interest to you- see healio.com for one article
“Metformin reversed weight gain from certain antipsychotic drugs. Diabetes drug may be a feasible alternative in the battle against antipsychotic drug-induced weight gain”. Her doctor said it may help with weight gain and possibly binge eating which was also a bit of an issue bc of the increase in appetite from the anti psychotic drug and she also is in recovery from ED. My daughter just switched to Abilify today from invega sustena. I can post her progress if it would be of help. Thank you, thinking of you and your family.

Thank you so much for the info about metformin; it’s the 2nd time I heard about it being used with the antipsychotics. I hope everything is well with you and your daughter.
I wish you both the best. :two_hearts::heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the kind words, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you’re doing well.

As long as his head is clear the weight gain can be managed.

Thank you for sharing about this fiber. I can use it for my son also, he’s been on Abilify maintena each month and he has gained some much weight but without it he has been all bones, it seems like the anxiety and paranoia makes him sweat all he eats and he really eats, mainly he nibbles all the time.

pjh1303 has your son been on other meds? My son has also paranoid schizophrenia and he’s been on many other meds: haldol, Zyprexa, lithium, some antidepressants because in the beginning he was diagnosed as a squizoaffective disorder with manic depressive features, I don’t even remember now what other meds he had been prescribed but each time he has gained a lot of weight. Abilify maintena injection is what he’s been administered to these past 4 months and the went from 30 to 33 size in this period of time.
How is invega working for your son?