My son just left Home after 5 months of Hospital and Rehabiliation

I want to get information from anyone who had experience with State Hospital setting?

1 Like

@Mom2, thanks for your input. I am glad to hear this.
was your son placed with others who may be sex offenders or of criminal background?

1 Like

Not at the state hospital. That is likely a unit that is more secure. If they are violent they are more guarded and there is less freedom. When you visit they have a person outside the room.
Some units are more relaxed. They have their room and might share that with someone else. I havenā€™t heard anything that would make me worry about that.
There are maybe twenty on that unit of varying ages and if something happens security if there in a flash.

In our state, the State Hospital is the best inpatient care available. There is a separate forensic unit for people who have committed serious crimes.

3 Likes

I would agree. I know the fear as I dreaded it at first but know it is a life saver and they donā€™t mess around. They have a plan and execute it.

2 Likes

Thanks @Mom2 and Hereandhere. I think I feel better now.
My son has been admitted in State Hospital in my state in 2015 for first time and stayed there for 5 weeks and they treated him well.
I guess I am asking since I do not know how is it with other State Hospitals in different states Like California.

1 Like

My son was in a public hospital psychiatric ward because thatā€™s all there is in the UK. He was arrested and taken there by the police but they didnā€™t charge him and he wasnā€™t kept in a unit for offenders. Most of the people in the ward were black or South Asian (reflecting the area) but one very posh white boy came in at one point and then disappeared quite quickly (we guessed his parents took him to a private hospital - though those are very rare in the UK), and then a huge white guy who was a skinhead with racist tattoos came in. He was very threatening and they moved him quickly (maybe to a more secure ward). So, the ward was pretty safe. I was relieved. I felt my son was safer INSIDE the hospital than outside at that point.

2 Likes

My sister is a psychiatrist in another state and she told me thatā€™s the best place for my son. I really didnā€™t want to believe her for a while but after the first two visits have pretty much realized that itā€™s the best hospital in our area for the type of care that he needs.

3 Likes

Yes, it was really good for my son and for us as a family. The fact that I visited every day and helped him to get out (after ten days) finally convinced him that I was on his ā€˜sideā€™. All the blaming stopped around that time. (You are lucky to have a psychiatrist in the family!)

3 Likes

" I was relieved. I felt my son was safer INSIDE the hospital than outside at that point." Exactly.

3 Likes

Hope my confession helps you to feel better. I have fallen for every lie my son has told me for years. He is never happy and he always turns to me for help. You child is your child. Donā€™t feel bad for believing in him. Maybe one day all your efforts will payoff. After all, Christ never gives up on us, so I guess I will never give up on my son. Your son will probably turn up. I will pray for that and for your peace.

1 Like