Really need some advice

My boyfriend has been dealing with this for almost two years now. About 6 months ago I finally convinced him to seek help. His doctor put him on risperidone which helped a little at first, but caused horrible side effects. Gradually though the risperidone stopped helping, so he stopped taking it completely. He’s not currently on any meds and cannot understand that he needs help. He says there’s nothing wrong with him and that he can just hear better than anyone else. He’s to the point now that he doesn’t sleep for days, is convinced the DEA, FBI, etc is after him, and thinks people are following him around and swears he can see them. He records things on his phone and gets angry when I don’t hear the voices on the recordings that he swears are there. He is not a violent person, and I’ve never been scared of him, but last night I was. I really thought he was going to get physical. My heart is breaking for him and I don’t know what to do to help him. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

1 Like

Here are some ideas for crisis: Crisis Resources There is a useful pdf embedded in the link; it’s under “Tips for friends and family”

Depending on where you live (if in the USA), there is hopefully a state run crisis line staffed by social workers who can talk you through your options to help your boyfriend. This link has a phone number for referrals and a database: SAMHSA’s National Helpline | SAMHSA

I hope you find help and are able to take good care of yourself.

1 Like

Please protect yourself. My son has been ill for 12 years. He’s not normally a violent person, but when he’s paranoid & delusional he can be. I think most of the time, they think it’s self defense, but still.

Make sure you always have a way to leave, as in you have easy access to your keys, wallet, etc.

It’s not his fault, but he needs help. The things you’re describing are pretty much textbook - my son has had a lot of the same symptoms.

There’s a book called I’m not sick, I don’t need help by Dr Xaviar Amador that can walk you through how to talk to someone like your boyfriend. It’s short - maybe it will help.

Here’s some information by the same doctor that someone else posted here:

Please look at these sites:
http://www.leapinstitute.org/5 - under resources are free videos on using LEAP
LEAP is a way of communicating to build trust. Listen-Empathize-Agree-Partner.
http://dramador.com/1

• Dr. Xavier Amador is a clinical psychologist whose brother had
    schizophrenia. He is the founder of the LEAP Institute. Wrote the book:
    I’m Not Sick I Don’t Need Help! Can buy from his website.
    Search Xavier Amador and LEAP on youtube.com and you should find some long videos
1 Like