Son banging holes in walls

My sister does thus to get at the voices in the wall. Thankfully for us, our son’s destruction involved punching or chopping trees. But it took years to realize his angry outbursts were actually responses to voices. About the same time I realised he had either disabled or removed all our smoke alrams because he thought they were recording him
He was diagnosed bi polar at 15. In his 20s Docs decided he was paranoid but we weren’t told because he was an adult.
Luckily, he still trusts me. When I was home for a couple months with a. Injury, he finally confided in me that the neighbors were recording and tormenting him, which was he did not sleep(until he passed out), 2as always angry. Repeatedly he asked me if I heard x, y or z. I reminded him I have beyond excellent hearing(per my ent) and stood on chairs looking over our fences reassuring him no one/thing was there. It took more thN 6 months to find help and longer to find anything that helped. In the mean time he requested a hospital admission to ‘sleep’ and agreed to an injection. The injection helped immensely!
My suggestion is talking to mental health centers(mhmr) here. It’s fre care OR talking to a judge. It’s possible rhey can get an emergency admission that will help him get care and you get rest!

1 Like

If you’re suicidal(33 pills are self destructive!), you can’t help your son. A group home could be a great help to you hoth. That will be another adult to help and observe while you are in treatment. Those other adults just may be able to get your son to start treatment rhat helps and keeps you both safe.
We apent~8 months of different treatments with our son, before he got a weekly injection that helped immensely. With oral you have no idea if they actually took all their meds or if they metabolize them properly. His body may be lacking the enzyme to turn the med into an effective treatment.
Someone who isnt enmeshed in the situation can often see things more clearly. And if the group home says he’s ok, then he’s out of there.

1 Like

We went to see our son yesterday in the hospital. So sad. I have no idea what meds he is getting, but obviously they havent kicked in yet. I know sometimes they take awhile. I feel guilty because he knows we want other living arrangements for him . He says he is going to live with a friend, though he has no friends. He talked about his girlfriend, he has no girlfriend. We found a long term mental health rehab we want him to go to, but he thinks we are setting him up for another institution. He has to go voluntary to this place. This is such a heart breaking illness.

1 Like

So very sorry Shallcro. Feels like we always end up in spots without options when our family members have scz. Could you see any difference in him at all with the meds?

1 Like

Not really. Wish he would give ok for me to discuss with staff.

Could he be refusing meds?

Hi Shallcro
I know its so hard hang in there. It felt so terrible for me to see my son going through this. Our son was diagnosed at 22 he’s now 33 and doing much better but it’s still kind-of rough at times. His first couple of hospitalizations were so devastating but looking back I know it was the best thing for him. Hopefully you can work with the doctors and others involved in his care to make sure he is stable before being discharged. The fact that he went willingly sounds like a good development. Our son destroyed things put holes in the wall was threatening and all then rest. I think its was part of his trajectory until the got some insight into what was happening. Perhaps you’ve heard it before but getting support in the form of therapy, NAMI, family, friends, church or whatever, it’s what helped me though the hardest times. I hate this thing too remember you’re not alone.

2 Likes

My son was discharged to home after 11 days. They discharged him on benadryl 50, thorazine, invegac 9mg. He is better, but ofcourse not 100%. We have told him if he is not compliant with meds, he can not live here. We are in process of applying to NAMI housing. He also promised us after 2 weeks at home he would go see a long term mental rehab in NC. I pray he keeps his promise, but doubt he will.

3 Likes

My prayers are with you.

1 Like

so far, my son is doing OK. He was on INvega PO, but it cost $1300/ week !!! and medicaid wouldn’t pay for it without all this red tape… so he was switched to Geodon. I don’t think that works as well. But the big problem is getting him to remember to take his meds… uggghhh. everyday I have to tell him.

My 30 year old son with paranoid schizophrenia lives with his dad and sister. He also will pound holes in walls when he’s getting too stressed. He’s on the monthly shot but has had a psychotic break or relapse brought on by stress. Sonetimes he uses his fist, sometimes a hammer! He has always been a very peaceful guy, kind and caring, so out first indication that things are about to get serious is when he does this. He will also destroy framed pictures (photographs) and this is a mystery. He has cut the cord of his dad’s (my ex) CPAP machine and this is a mystery as well. We don’t know what he’s thinking; does he believe cutting the cord means dad will die?? It’s so sad. Be very careful. I hate to sound like an alarmist, but if your son is being aggressive you need to protect yourselves. Maybe put a lock on your door. This is a brain disease and can make our loved one very unpredictable. My ex said he wonders if he’ll get a hammer to the head while he sleeps! Most of the time, my son is just very quiet and good and sweet. So it’s always a shock when he acts this way. Breaks my heart.

1 Like

Great ideas! I’m going by to keep your post for myself. I have so many thoughts and ideas of things I want to say or ask my son but when I’m with him it all flies out the window and I feel like a bumbling fool just trying to make conversation, which is almost impossible. A few times, though, when we’re just sitting quietly listening to music (that’s the only interest my son has retained) if I’m quiet and not trying to create a convo with him, he will start to talk. He’ll let me in a little. Or he tries. I try to understand but always come away feeling puzzled and wondering what just happened! Then I cry all the way home in my car. He lives with his dad (my ex husband). He’s never had his own place, has never had a meaningful job or any relationships, no girlfriend etc. So SAD!

When my son had his first psychotic break and was involuntarily committed, he was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and put on invega sustenna at 156 milligrams (?) monthly shot. That was Jan of 2013. He was in the hospital for a month. He came home and just stayed right there. Then last summer, some personal family things caused him such distress that he had his first relapse. He was again involuntarily hospitalized, this time for two weeks. And now he’s on the highest dose which I believe is 234? So it was what? About five years from first break to first relapse.

I think that’s a great place to start with quiet music. When my son wouldn’t communicate with me when in the hospital the nurse suggested that I write him notes. Perhaps if you are listening to music you could pass him a note and ask who the group is or ask if it’s Bach (for example).

1 Like

Oh yes, we definitely do discuss the music. He’s sort of savants like when it comes to music. He knows names and dates of birth, death, other trivia sometimes and he knows like ‘50s Golden Oldies music which was even before my time! It’s fascinating! He also never forgets a name! You know how most people say they’re terrible at remembering names but they never forget a face? Well, my son will remember a person’s first and last name from meeting them one time and will never forget! He was very impressive at age four doing this. So that’s his thing. Music and remembering the people and their names.

That’s pretty impressive. I am terrible at names. The music is a cool connection to have!

1 Like

My son came home on Invega 9mg everyday. thorazine 100mg twice a day. The Thorazine really helps him sleep, which he needs. Because the Invega is so expensive Medicaid wouldn’t approve it without major paper work, in mean time he would have no meds. So the Dr switched him to Geodon 20mg twice a day. He rarely takes both pills, so he is having symptoms again. I have to remind him everyday to take his pills. Why oh why doesn’t he take his pills. I know this is a problem with everyone. Next app I am going to ask dr to go back to Invega. I’ll fight the fight. It just works so much better for him.

2 Likes

Plus, Invega is available as a monthly injection and this can be really helpful.

1 Like