Spouse getting worse, not sure what to do next

This is my first time posting, but I’m not getting the answers I need quick enough. My spouse has recently been diagnosed with schizophrenia, he has been experiencing hallucinations for a few years but recently his symptoms have gotten a lot worse and severely impact his functioning day to day. After going to the emergency room during a catatonic episode, his psychiatrist finally prescribed him with risperdol and he’s been taking 1mg for about a month now. Which is too low a dose to really do anything, but it’s a new medication and all. He hasn’t been able to see his psychiatrist to increase it, and his next appointment is not for another two weeks.

But his symptoms have recently gotten a lot worse, particularly delusions about being watched and followed for a scientific study, but also difficulty speaking and concentrating in school. I’m worried that he’s not getting treatment soon enough, and if his delusions continue to increase he’s not going to be able to function either at home or outside.

For example, he just walked into the living room and said, “I tried to get the chip out of my head, but I couldn’t so I gave up.” Apparently he was scratching his head to try to remove a tracking chip he thinks was embedded there, after hearing drilling near his ear. He’s also just announced that he won’t eat because the food in our house is tainted.

I’m not sure what I should do. Should we just keep going day to day until his next appointment, or should we seek out more immediate treatment? I haven’t found anything online that really helps with this situation.

Thanks.

Can’t you just call his psychiatrist on the phone? He/she can either instruct an increase in dose or bring the appointment forward, but they can’t do anything if they don’t know.

http://forum.schizophrenia.com/t/my-husband-thinks-hes-being-followed-going-to-be-murder-soon-help/34671

Hi SKOLYA, I tried to link a similar topic from a few days ago.

Most helpful where I live is the “Mobile Crisis Team,” a 24/7 phone line and social workers. Depending on where you live, there might be someone you can telephone and describe the situation. They would then be able to point you in the direction of appropriate local resources. I hope there’s something like this in your area. Try Department of Health and Welfare if you’re in US and your state has that…

Good luck.

When I was first dx’ed I was put on 40 mg of Haldol a day, enough to knock out an elephant. I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. 1 mg of Risperadol does seem inadequate, though. Talk to the pdoc. Be assertive. Let him or her know how harried you are. If the pdoc has any compassion he will put your spouse on a higher dose.

I agree with the others, in that you should call his pdoc’s office and tell them what’s going on. Have them call in the needed prescription right away. And don’t take no for an answer or let them put you off. You sure don’t want him to get so bad that he starts refusing to take his meds.

I know Risperdal has been helpful to many, so I hope that increasing the dosage will improve his symptoms. It usually takes a few weeks for the full effects to kick all the way in too.

Best of luck to you and your husband.

Someone else can correct me if I have the wrong information, but I thought Risperdal was the one that they have you take 1 pill/day for a week than 2 pills/day for a week and then finally up it to 4 pills/day.

At least that was the experience I had when my ex-wife was prescribed Risperdal.