"Targeted Individual"

Yes, in the end, that is what will get a person help: if they can learn to take care of themselves. Often it is a hard concept to process…

1 Like

I see people like this:

And wonder if he believed he was being targeted. The article says he thought helicopters were following him and people were tracking his cell phone. Paranoia can go too far and this obsession does not help people who really need help.

1 Like

My 27 y.o. is a constant threat to himself and others. How do I find care for him when I need to leave town for a few days?

Hello @Mim . Welcome to the site. I see this is your first post. I am sorry you are having to deal with your son’s threat to himself and others. When my daughter was very ill, before she got on medication that helped her, I left town twice and just left her at home. I had to get away for my own mental health. She was OK when I got back.

I suggest you perhaps read some other threads on this site to get information. You can use the search (magnifying glass) to search for topics. Or you could start another new thread for people to answer you. This one you posted on is quite old now.

Our local police have a sort of mental health team. They knew our home and my daughter and often calmed her down without any incidents happening.

Is your son able to care for himself if you go away for a few days?

1 Like

Hello oldladyblue,
Thank you for replying to my post. I haven’t had anyone to talk to about this and your reaching out makes me feel a little less alone.

I will look for more current content. Unfortunately my son is continually discharged from the hospital while
he’s still unstable. None of the meds or ECT treatments (which are newly started) have brought him out of his delusions and paranoia. The psychosis is still evident to me, but not to the drs and nurses, because he’s too paranoid to discuss the “people after him” with anyone but myself and his older brother. Within a week of being discharged, he runs away and attempts suicide again. The attempts are escalating and I am a stressed out, worried mess. I do not believe I can leave him alone if he is discharged at this point, and they are talking about it again.

I am happy to hear that your daughter found meds that helped her. It helps me keep some hope that my kid will find something that helps him, too.
My fear is that he’s been stuck in delusion for a few years now, and I don’t know that his brain has had a break from it. I hope he still CAN come back. I miss the way we used to be, his easy laughter…

1 Like

Hello @Mim , thanks for answering. I truly understand where you were as I was there, and through luck, miracles and persistence I was able to get my daughter to a better place. She was basically in psychosis for 3 years before we found the right med. She often looked totally fine to others, it is scary how that works out sometimes. You have to keep hoping and trying to help your son. Her delusions and hallucinations were strong until she was put on the Haldol Dec Shot, and even after being on it for so long some delusions and hallucinations persisted, and still do. She told me the other day that the out of body beings that were with her for so long are gone now. So finally she is free of the voices.

Please do look around the site and read as much as you can. Also if you want to make a brand new thread you can. You are not alone, but it is a lonely war to fight schizophrenia. And it is a war: many battles take place.

3 Likes

I wonder if you could try persuading him that he is safer in a group. If he thinks people are after him, he should take refuge in “the sheeple” (sheep/people). Just an idea.

2 Likes