Thankful for Change and Hope

Hope is still out there, until the Clozaril fails, there is still hope, it might feel like little hope, at times like this, that’s all it takes to keep your heart beating and your feet stepping.

1 Like

Just to relate my experience -

My son was in several different settings between the ages of 22 and 25. He did not adjust well to group settings, but neither did he have much success when living alone. His last transition was from an assisted living setting which was much like a nursing home, to a house I purchased for him to live in.

The first year did not go well, he experienced a lot of psychosis and paranoia and rehospitalizations. It was at the end of his first year there that he was switched to Clozapine.

My son is still in the house at the age of 30. He has a few regular activities each week with wonderful longtime family friends. He interacts with some neighbors on a limited basis. He has a cat. He will do his own laundry, take showers regularly, he plays computer games, and interacts well with me when I am there to fix dinner. He can fix simple foods for himself if needed.

I am able to have a free day every week, and can occasionally change schedules if needed. I have been able to take week long vacation the last 2 years.

My son still experiences delusions and paranoia, but he takes his medication reliably, and has a small amount of insight into his mental health. He has just started seeing a therapist at his request…

Life isnt great, it isnt what I would have hoped for him, but - its a whole lot better than it used to be.

8 Likes

Thank you for this @Vallpen. Clearly, you’ve been through many ups and downs with your son. I’m glad things are ok for you all now.

We all just want the same thing I guess, for our children to be safe, happy, and as stable as possible.

I hate this wretched disease, but I’ll just keep plugging through.

4 Likes

And the good news is our son seems to have moved away from his long-standing delusion about taking pills. Not sure if the ECT did that, but doors have opened up. So, I can be thankful for this.

6 Likes

I know some of us never expect the odd twists in these journeys - if the ECT made Clozapine pills possible - that is huge.

3 Likes

Thank you for posting a story that gives hope to us who are dealing with a SZ affected loved one. I pray that your loved one continues to find peace and that you do feel peace too. :heart:

1 Like

I think it is so important that we try to encourage each other any way that we can. Although I have many dear friends…none have any idea of how to encouragement me on this journey. This forum provides the opportunity to gain needed support.

Hello @Sweetpea. I’m just wondering how things are going with your daughter and her residential placement. Is she still happy and feeling safe?

If you recall, after a lengthy hospitalization and ECT, our son was placed in a nearby group home, but the stress quickly landed him back in the hospital for another few weeks.

Since our son’s most recent hospital release, he’s been back at the group home and holding steady (going on about 5 weeks now). He still isolates in his room way too much, and he still lives with constant paranoia, but at least there’s always someone home with him, to keep a watchful eye.

At this point, his severe negative symptoms are our son’s biggest problem. They probably always will be, if someone doesn’t develop a good med for this.

1 Like

@Day-by-Day

My daughter is still in the group home. There are 3 others in the group home with her…all much older than her. She said it feels like an old age home…but she likes that because she feels safer. She doesn’t see them as any type of threat.

Having said that she is still extremely paranoid. Whenever I go see her I have to promise to turn location services off on my phone and turn it off as well. Like your son, she stays in the room all the time. In this area I feel like she has gone downhill some. She also had a recent hospital stay because she did get anxious in the group home.

Personally I do not care for the environment she is living in or the lady running the group home. But I guess if she is peaceful with it…then I need to be too.

I am glad to hear your some has made some progress. A little bit of hope can go a long way :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for the response @Sweetpea. I’m sorry to hear of your daughter’s continuing paranoia and the anxiety, but I’m glad to hear things are currently stable.

My son lives with 5 other young adults. The door key to his room is his most valued possession. Kind of like your daughter’s fear, he said he won’t ever Uber anywhere because “they” will know where he lives. What a way to live, right?

I guess we can tick some of the boxes, but I guess we’ll never be able to tick them all. That goes for housing options, as well as symptom management for our kids.

But today, things are stable.

@Day-by-Day Please try the Clozaril. My son had been on everything for 3 years prior to me demanding that we try Clozaril. He has been in the hospital for 12 times, but only 1 time in the last year since he has been on Clozaril and that was for a VOLUNTARY (first time ever) stay for 3 days due to SI. His case is severe, well, was severe until we implemented Clozaril. He still has his ups and downs and is no where his old ‘normal’, but he is living in the community and not treatment centers/hospitals. It has been a miracle for my son and our family! Please try it!

2 Likes

Thank you @skyler.hayden, but it’s not up to me. I, and multiple psychiatrists, have tried for years to get my son to agree to Clozaril. My son has consistently refused. Sigh.

I’m glad your son is experiencing the benefits of that drug. I wish him well.

2 Likes