What if the voices tell him to do something terrible

I hear and watch him talk and react to the voices. I do t know how far these voices will go and to what extreme. I’m sick thinking of what they can can tell him to do himself…me or others…Hebia talking and has been for 4 1/2 hours and no sign of pausing yet alone stopping and thr subject has chan be ed more than 40 times
I can’t imagine what all of this is doing to his brain permanently or physically.

1 Like

I think elsewhere on this Forum, and if you go to the NAMI.org website, there are Tips for Handling a Crisis. I have also seen tips for How to Talk to a Person who is having Delusions. You can Google these things if you don’t find it here. Take care of yourself, and do what you can to be prepared. Will his family help? Or what have they already tried to do? What are you willing to do yourself? This illness is not going away.

Hi hope4us…His family gave up on him. Its just me and if I leave him alone too long he talks to himself and always seems worse afterward. I was there this evening and the roads were getting very bad. I went to lay down and at 3am he started screaming in my face for me to leave. It took me 45minutes to get back I don’t know what I’m willing to do. He was hospitalized 2 times in 13 months. He refused treatment and here we are. It’s my fault and everyone else’s but never his. So tired and my dad will be up in just a few hours blasting the tv.

If it has been 13 months, then you are familiar with his routine. If he is talking to voices constantly, then that is probably how things will stay. If you weren’t there, he would probably do the same things.

If he was not violent before his illness, by statistic he will probably not be violent with his illness, but that is only a statistic, and statistics are sometimes wrong.

Actually, I am more worried for YOU than I am for him. I feel like perhaps you truly must come to terms with what you can and cannot do for him. It sounds like you are neglecting your own health and welfare: being out in unsafe weather, neglecting your own sleep, perhaps antagonizing your loved one by trying to help when help isn’t wanted by him. If he doesn’t want help or company, you shouldn’t offer it. Antagonizing him won’t help, and letting your own health and sanity degrade won’t help either.

Hugs. I know this is hard for you, but the present doesn’t sound good, the past won’t come back, and the future with this illness unmedicated is FULL of terrible times for all concerned.

I know how you feel…what can you do…hurry up and wait, wait for the other shoe to drop. You didn’t cause it, you can’t control it and you can’t cure it. I am so sorry! My son is in treatment and even after over a year of trying different meds, combos, dosages etc, it’s still not right. He is still constantly talking to himself. I see his facial reactions to what he hears; he’s clearly terrified at times, other times if looks could kill ! It’s truly frightening and there is nothing you can do ! Even with NAMI and support groups - they can’t force mobile crisis to agree with you that he needs to be evaluated and safely housed in a 24/7 secure therapuetic environment. Our mental health system leaves much to be desired. Those working within it can only do so much - their hands are tied too. Not sure who made the rules but whoever did certainly couldn’t have actually dealt with what WE deal with, or they wouldn’t make it so difficult to access REAL, ONGOING help for people and families in crisis.

You described it perfectly. He is yelling at the walls and the he thinks the neighbors want him t lito move out and that they want to kill him

He is so deep in this delusion that he is beyond irrational… don’t know what to do. He mentioned that he will fix it so they wont be able to kill him that he will take care of it!!!

I am so sorry :frowning:

Hello Laz and all.
As you all know my son is forensically committed due to an assualt. Lou was never agressive. He is a very nice and considerate person, gentle in nature. He was in an auto accident which left him with a severe TBI. If our son was experiencing signs of mental illness before the accident? It’s hard to say, I had some phone calls and reports from his cousin, something was not right. Lou was never diagnosed with scizophrenia after the accident either. As I reflect back on what has happened to my son, I really believe the hospitals and rehabs knew he was not right.
My point is before the assault, Lou was having a full on episode, 72 hours of not stop conversation. Voices telling him what he should do, it’s a terrible thing to watch your loved one suffer. When we called emergency services, we did not get any help. It’s such a shame that nothing can be done to intervene until a tragedy happens.
I hope you get your loved one some care asap.
AnnieNorCal

@Laz Yes, the laws for involuntary commitment, HIPAA, etc. often make it very difficult to help our loved ones. When you are wanting to get treatment for your loved one because you know he needs it, I suggest:
(a) learn the laws in your state which can be found at TreatmentAdvocacyCenter.org
(b) learn where and how to pursue involuntary commitment
(3) document mental illness history including hospitalizations, arrests or interactions with police, medication history (including current status if non-compliant to take meds), and unusual or bizarre behavior attributable to this illness. Keep it updated.
(4) Be ready to contact a CIT team or other interventionists, or police 9r 911 if needed, making it very clear that your loved one has a mental illness and is of danger to himself or others (or whatever is going on with him that qualifies in your state for involuntary commitment. Give them a copy if your document.

If the right scenario plays out, your loved one will get help. The question becomes “what treatment and for how long?”

Learn all you can at NAMI.org for classes, support, resources.

Best wishes in this journey.

1 Like