Why is it the first conclusion

My son says he feels his mood change sometimes after he eats , he knows 100% it’s because someone even me or hubby has put something in his food.
Not that it could be anything else ?
How can anyone (him) be so adamant and 100% sure it’s that?

I know it’s the illness so be kind to me please.

4 Likes

Hi Jane. Sounds like your son is having some delusions about you poisoning him. Is this the first time you’ve seen him like this or has this been going on for awhile now? I know it’s never easy. Hang in there.

5 Likes

Hello @Jane57. It does seem unreal that delusional thinking can cloud our loved one’s judgement so badly. I used to get very upset at being blamed for things I couldn’t possibly have done. I mean, I really lost it at times. Then I regretted it badly afterwards.

I wish I had a solution to propose to you. As you said, you know it is the illness, but that doesn’t always make it easier to live through the blame coming from him when you are trying so hard to help him.

6 Likes

It may help caregivers understand delusional thinking if they keep the following in mind:

1.). Delusional thinking is intuitive which is a fancy way of saying it’s guessing. Intuitive leaps can be right at times, and most of us use intuition to some extent. When you are delusional, you get very strong feelings that your hunches are right. Someone once asked John Nash why someone so brilliant could believe seemingly nonsensical things, and he said they seemed to come from the same place in his mind as his breakthroughs, and they similarly felt right.

2.). Normally when you think intuitively, your ‘executive function’ takes over once you get a hunch and checks your work. This process often breaks down when delusional. It’s similar to the scientific process. You form a hypothesis and then you create experiments and make observations that verify it, and take great pains you aren’t fooled by mistakes in logic, assumptions or conclusions. This process breaks down when delusional, and hypotheses are pronounced true with great certainty with little or completely misinterpreted evidence.

3.). There seems to be a bias in delusional thinking toward novel and transgressive thinking. Ideas that are more threatening, odd, audacious and emotionally charged stand out and bubble to the top and seem more compelling and thus feel “right” and true (completely without evidence of course)

4.). Caregivers by proximity and emotional connection figure into and receive “blame” more often than not in delusional thinking. Lacking the introspection to understand that you are the one with the illness leads you to look for an agent that causes your suffering. Sometimes this means blaming things on unnamed oppressors like the FBI or some random famous person, but often caregivers can get the blame just by being a close bystander.

This is from my own experiences with my delusional systems and years of observing my brother’s. When delusions include yourself or other family members, I find it best to detach from the emotional component and try and learn the why behind the delusion. What feeling is being experienced by the delusional person and try to empathize. It’s hard sometimes not to take things personally, but better in the long run.

6 Likes

Thank you :blush: no it’s been there a while , raising its head a lot recently.

Thank you :blush: just by you guys answering is reassuring to me .

1 Like

Thanks so much ,
I sat and read this a few times and read to my husband too.
I feel strength when I understand the illness and your post is very articulate and informative so thank you for that.

2 Likes

I could always see my daughter improve nearly intermediately after a good night sleep, or after very healthy food. It is vital that high nutrient food is consumed and there is plenty of evidence to back it up. a high potency b complex vitamin, a tablespoon of flaxseed oil and sarcosine which can be purchased online, all help a lot

3 Likes

get him to a dr, asap

This helps me understand my son better. He is apologetic and loves us one day and hates us the next day. He hasn’t spoken to us in weeks. We are to blame for everything bad in his life. I will have my husband read your explanation. It will help him understand this illness better.

1 Like

Thank you I also read your post to my husband as our son often aims his delusions at my husband as they work together, he can say such hurtful things that are in true and we need to detach emotionally and be reminded it’s the illness not him, a good reminder :pray:

1 Like