Always knew there was something off or wrong, but never realized just how deep it went

Well, it’s been a little over 24 hours since it really hit me that my husband is in worse shape than I thought. It’s a long story…I’m sure more details will come out as I get more comfortable with posting. I’m honestly at a loss. I’ve been with my husband for almost 26 years. There have always been mental health issues - however, some recent events have really solidified for me that I now do not have a clue what to do.

To start with…my husband is a Vietnam Vet. He was in the Navy and had some very traumatic experiences. I’ve also knows PTSD was an issue. I’ve also know that Depression/Bi-Polar run in his family and he is no exception. What hit me this weekend was that he is now displaying (more than ever before) delusional behavior. He has decided that we are victims of “gang stalking” and that everyone is watching us and we are on some “list”. This has been building for many, many years - and we’ve moved several times, thinking a new start was what we needed. It always seems good for about a year, and then the same stuff happens all over. The difference this time is that we moved back to a place we had previously lived for about 15 years. We’ve been back for just over a year. The initial paranoia has now been replaced with thoughts that everyone from the neighbors, to the police, to the banks, to people walking out on the paths by our house…want to know what’s going on with us. We are on “the list”.

I did some research over the weekend and found an article in the NY Times about how gang-stalking has become a new “trend” for the mentally ill to justify what they are feeling. And, unfortunately, there aren’t many studies out there that are trying to debunk these trends. Social media has made it even worse.

I love my husband. I feel like he’s on the edge of no return and I have no idea what to do about it. He will NOT go to a therapist. He takes clonzapem and sertraline for his anxiety and depression, but those were handed out by his regular doctor. I’m worried. I’m scared. What do I do??

1 Like

What. about asking him I go to a Veterans hospital? Maybe he would feel safer going there.

1 Like

Thanks Jan. I’ve tried that in the past with no luck - but it may be time to try again. I appreciate your reply. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope your husband is more receptive to the VA this time. My husband, now ex, made us move a lot, too. But it really made no difference in his paranoia–neighbors were always a problem for him.

I guess the only thing to do is keep after him to go to a psychiatrist. Or maybe you can confer with his primary care doctor, and fill him in on what is happening.

A NAMI support group may help you, too.

2 Likes