Dad has Cancer

Ive had SZ for over thirty years…through all the hell I put my parents through,my dad never ever gave up on me. He is my best friend and I rely on him for almost everything. My husband either can’t or won’t do anything to help me, so my dad is IT.
Yesterday he was diagnosed with basal cell carcinoma.It’s one of the “better” kind of cancers to have (and I know that is an oxymoron) as it is usually treatable. However my dad has had this for over 8 months. Two docs misdiagnosed it so he waited til forever to listen to my mom and I and went to a new dermatologist who broke the bad news. They are doing MOH surgery soon.
My brain is going crazy (hah! I think it was already there!) with worry.I am praying for God to have mercy on me , him and my mom.

I’m sorry to hear that. I hope the surgery goes well. Both my grandma and grandpa died of cancer. It’s terrible disease.

Thank you.Yes there is no such thing as a “good” cancer…but thank God, there are “better” cancers and this is one of them. Thanks for your concern.I’m sorry about your Grandparents

Sorry to hear about your dad. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and I hope the surgery goes well.

Hello - I also had a “good” cancer - a kind of lymphoma that responds very well to treatment - and after 5 years with no recurrence, I am now considered cured. Cures for some types of cancer are very possible! Take good care of your dad now that he needs your care. He will notice and be proud of you.

my dad had stomach cancer about 13 years ago and my mom had colon cancer about 2 years ago and now both of them are much more healthier than other people of their age so don’t be afraided of the word “Cancer”, wish you patience and pray for your father, be strong cause your agony will be more hard to bear for him than his illness.

Hope the surgery goes well and he recovers. Cancer runs in my family on my dad’s side. But everyone who’s had it has had it treated and gone on to live normal lives.

I feel for you at this time. Its awful that your dad has to go through this. Its hard to know what to say, other than to just offer support to you at this time.

I’m sorry to hear that. i too hope the surgery goes well.

Hi there. So sorry to hear about your dad. It must be very hard for your entire family. Keep us posted how he’s doing.

Ive had mohs surgery twice. usually,they do that type if its on the face-or unles you request it. I`ve had lots of basal cell and squamous carcinomas. they have all been treated well. Praying for you and your family. I know he will be fine

Thank you all for the kind support.Bridgecomet:have you ever had to have chemo following basal cell carcinoma? I am worried that he will need that because he’s had the cancer for at least8 months without treatment due to a wrong diagnosis…What do you think of that?

From what I know as a nurse, Mohs surgery has a 98% cure rate for BCC. Most patients don’t require chemo or radiation therapies afterwards.

I’m sending prayers your way, for you and your family. Have peace of mind and stay strong of mind and heart.

Many blessings,

Anthony

Thank you Anthony. That was reassuring. I just worry because he has had it on his face for at least 8months. I’m afraid of metastases. I don’t know about Basal Cell Carcinoma…if it tends to spread or not.

I’ve been avoiding replying to this thread out of fear that I would become too emotional, but I do want to send you some positive feedback.

My mother died of cancer a little over two years ago. It was breast cancer so things aren’t exactly the same, but cherish your father. Even cancer aside, he’s getting up there in age. I know you love him and I don’t mean in any sense that you don’t or don’t cherish him. I just mean that our parents won’t be around forever and as much as I love my mom, I still wish I had done more, showed her more love in her last months.

I hope he gets through this and from other’s posts it seems he has an excellent chance. My thoughts go out to you and your father.

Thank you Malvok.I know your mom’s passing has been extremely difficult for you. I can’t even begin to imagine not having my Dad. I’ve sincerely prayed that I would go first. My dad is my best friend…I see him pretty much even though they live an hour away–he takes me to many of my MD appointments. He also emails me at least once daily. There would be a huge hole in my life if he were to leave. I know I’d see him in heaven…but just don’t want to face the loss here on earth.
Thank you for your Support Malvok. All the best to you.

BCC almost never metastasizes. It’s very rare.

I hope you can rest assured that your dad will be ok. He’s in good hands.

I’m sending positive energy your way.

Blessings,

Anthony

I can only hope that my father gets cancer, i hate him and i think he would be most deserving of such a thing.