How many of you have an unmedicated family member and what's happening today?

https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/drugshortages/dsp_ActiveIngredientDetails.cfm?AI=Haloperidol%20Tablets&st=c&tab=tabs-1

Why do they bother to have a reason category if ā€œOTHERā€ is an option?

1 Like

Itā€™s not cheaper actually since if it was available through my pharmacy or the online pharmacy through my insurance it would be freeā€¦ :frowning_man:

We have found that some medications we use are cheaper if we simply ask the pharmacy ā€œwhat is the cheapest optionā€ for us. Sometimes itā€™s cheaper to pay cash than go through our insurance. Even after insurance is used the price can still be higher than the cash price. Weird. The drug game is becoming ridiculous for consumers. We have purchased drugs from overseas and there was no negative issues.

I donā€™t understand how or why a single drug made by the same manufacturer in the UK and sells for half the cost of the same drug in the U.S. Iā€™ve read where some state governments are considering purchasing their drugs from outside the USA. Colorado is one of those states.

Weā€™ve been looking at Walmart, CVS and Walgreens and the prices for multiple drugs vary widely. Even Express Scripts is wild.

If my daughter were to lose her insurance that currently covers the drugā€¦at least we now know Canada and the UK are available to us.

Express scripts is what my insurance usesā€¦ and they donā€™t have it currentlyā€¦ but I am thinking if the Canada site is the only way we can get the medā€¦ it will be worth the extra cost for us. Oh wellā€¦ free is nice, but either way my daughter needs her meds!

I doubt that my flex spending account would cover the Canadian mail order drugs.

How did her insight come about?

When we first got my daughter Allieā€™s haldol, we were not able to get it from our regular pharmacyā€¦ so the inpatient nurse practitioner called in a new prescription to a diffferent pharmacyā€¦ the current prescription was for the regular pharmacyā€¦the next step is see if it can be found at the other pharmacyā€¦ if not, then we might have to look at other optionsā€¦ it seems as if it is the tablets where the shortage isā€¦ I wonder about the liquid form?

I brought my son home from the hospital for 5 days. He spent the whole time lying in bed saying that he has nothing to look forward to or nothing to live for. I donā€™t know what to say to him anymore

1 Like

@Margi, my son doesnā€™t have much of a life either, but at least we can know our sons are safe. We can take care of them, show them love, help them learn to cope with their illnesses on a day-to-day basis. We can have hope that we can give them a life that is better than they would have alone.

3 Likes

Today I 'm feeling so depressed and sad. My son said that we took his life from him he lost his drivers license so he canā€™t live at his house. He canā€™t live with the feeling from the invega shot. Itā€™s like he has given up on his life. We are taking him back to the hospital today.

My son has told me that many times. I will have to admit that I still feel a tinge of guilt. I still ask myself could we have done things differently? What would have happened if we just let him be?? But when I backtrack on all of our decisions that we made along the way, ( and they were very heavy decisions such as do we file a silver alert when he is roaming the streets without food or money) or ( do we call 911 because he is acting completely crazy)ā€¦ we had no other choice. We could not live with the fact that we did not do everything in our power to keep him from hurting other people or from suicide. My son drove for 2 years and 1/2 years and at 18 we took out guardianship which resulted in him losing his license. He loved to drive and I hated that he lost that privilege but he could get it back but he is now 21 and has made no progress in attaining it again. He doesnā€™t have the cognitive skills to understand how to work towards getting it back. He canā€™t even work towards having his own apartments through DSS. He is only going backwards. And he is behaving badly on or off medicine. So far he hasnā€™t been able to cope with his illness. He is in total denial. Any chance he gets, he steals Nyquill to get high. Currently he is in an ER awaiting group home placement because the last home he was in he attacked his caregiver with a dull kitchen knife. I just keep hoping eventually he will start accepting his sickness. Iā€™ve heard that the brain is still maturing until the age of 26. Maybe by then he will start to understand but until then our job is to keep fighting for him and keeping him safe. Good luck and hang in there!!

How do we access the medication from other countries?

I hope everything goes okay for him and for you.

1 Like

I feel for you @Margi and @Mogis . I know how hopelessness can overwhelm. I hope there is change for you in the near future. Unmedicated, or on the wrong medication, the psychosis doesnā€™t break. When I was at my lowest point is when things came together to get my daughter on the right medication and stay on it. Really, hope must stay alive within you, for your sake and your loved ones sake, so you can keep fighting for improvement for them.

1 Like

FYI, Invega also comes in daily pill form. Have you discussed this delusion about shots with the psychiatrist?

Yes the problem is he will not take the pills like he should. My son says he canā€™t handle the feeling that he gets fron invega. Since he went back to the hospital last Wednesday he hasnā€™t called me at all.

Oh, what a worrisome time for you @Margi . I used to be very sad that my daughter had to live with me in my home, when she was unmedicated, as it was very trying and tiresome to deal with her loud hallucinations and delusions. But, at least I knew she was safe, and the police were always willing to come if need be. Now that she is medicated, life at home is a joy compared to the prior chaos.

I donā€™t know how I could have managed myself emotionally if she lived separately and was out of touch.

I hope things get better for you and your son.

1 Like

There IS hope, @Mogis! I hear first and second-hand stories about persons with SZ who eventually gain some insight and become med-compliant, in some cases with the help of the medication itself, in other cases it just seems to get better in timeā€¦often years.

I look forward to hearing about the group home and how that goes for your son. Will medication or treatment be a requirement for staying at the group home? Is this Section 8 housing?

In October of 2018 I relinquished guardianship of my 21 year old son. Not because I didnā€™t care and want to help but because I was in a situation ( he was in ER and the hospital told me to come get him and I had no where to bring him) I did an immediate release so he is ward of state. They are looking for a group home for MI that his disability and SSI will pay for. It will be his 5th one. He does not want to go. He doesnā€™t like rules and doesnā€™t like being told what to do and when. So I will keep you updated. Thanks

I am sure that this had to be a hard choice to make, but I hope it all works out.