How many of you have an unmedicated family member and what's happening today?

Was stable but over the past several weeks has become increasingly paranoid. Although was committed to sobriety, the feeling of oppression became so great he self medicated with alcohol. Long story short was picked up released and failed to show for court date. Now is sitting in jail, most likely unaware I know as he has not called. Has appearance Tuesday and thankfully they picked up there are mental health issues. With a court ordered evaluation he is routed into the county mental health program. Hopefully he will be compliant.

However after speaking with his ex wife, she said late winter early spring is always his worst time. Am wondering, while surely not the cause of MI, if a low level of vitamin D makes his illness unbearable. Hopefully they will test that too.

1 Like

@thereisalwayshope my daughter and I both got a shot of B12 and a shot of vitamin D recently. It provided us both with a little mellowness and more desire to sleep (which are both highly needed). Cost was $25 at the local mall (weird to have a vitamin injection shop in the mall, but we found it just walking by). I probably will continue to get the shots for a while.

1 Like

I would love to get an update when you get a chance. Following the rules (especially medication-compliance) in order to not be homeless can be what is needed in order to have any kind of recovery. I am hopeful for you and your son but it can be a long journey.

My son was released from hospital today after 3 months. He has a comunity treatment order in place. He has to see the doctor once a month and will be getting invega sustenna injection of 100mg. He is staying at my house with my husband who is bipoler and not easy to be around he is always critical about everything and can be quite aggressive and rude at times. My son is very angry with us for putting him in the hospital he says he canā€™t live with this needle and the feeling. Heā€™s not talking to me just gives me hateful looks. He has absolutely no insight that he has a illness.I try to be positive but it is fading fast my health is also going downhill from the stress.

Hey hope4us
My son was placed in a group home more geered to helping with his behavior problems (stealing, assaulting, defiance) due to his Mild TBI and Dandy Walker. He is allowed no contact with family or friends for the first 90 days there. Itā€™s been 6 weeks. My son has Medicaid and his Ssi etc pay for this level of care. Hoping someone can reach him at this place and get him on a better path.

@Margi, I can only imagine the stress youā€™ve been under. I really hope you can find ways to get some relief.

For my son, with each passing month on the injection, his brain continued to heal and his mood continued to stabilize. He started to realize he needed the medication. I hope the same for your son.

I hope you and your husband can create a calm, supportive, and stress-free living environment for your son. I imagine heā€™s going to need his personal space, with interactions on his own terms.

Good luck, and please take care of yourself.

My son remains unmedicated. Heā€™s in psychosis with a manic episode today. Very delusional, very animated, aggressive, belligerent, and vocal. Heā€™s 29, Iā€™m 69 and Iā€™m getting very worn down by his illness. I try to help, but everything I do is met with opposition, anger, and veiled threats. He is truly seriously mentally ill and I currently have no recourse for civil commitment as heā€™s embroiled in a criminal case. If you have a SMI child or loved one, stay away from Alabama. Thatā€™s just IMHO.

1 Like

Hi Tuck,

I am sad to hear about your sonā€™s psychosis. While I have nothing to offer as far as advice as this is a tough situation, know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope his psychosis passes quickly.

1 Like

Can you talk with the group home? Do they know your son has SMI? Will they give him medication? Perhaps after the 90 days or eventually he will be able and willing to talk with you. The best thing I can suggest is be prepared to listen. If you have not already ready the book I Am Not Sick; I Donā€™t Need Help (Amazon), I highly recommend you do so. It gives tips on how to have a conversation to gain trust of someone who cannot acknowledge he is sick or has any issues (due to the illness itself). Trust is a first step to moving in a direction to get help, follow a treatment plan, agreeing to or at least following boundaries you establish, etc. Also, be prepared with what those boundaries will be. He will eventually be discharged.

I have decided this very thing today. I am going to seek out counseling and support for myself, my husband and our three other children. We are all grieving and struggling with having one son with psychosis, mood swings, hostility and cognitive loss. Our son who is ill is getting wrap around services for Early Psychosis Intervention (EPI) and it is a great program. The family is supposed to be included for resiliency education but so far not yet.

2 Likes

Our daughter is 29and has schizophrenia . She hears voices some days. She texts people 70-100 times in a row saying things like she will die soon. Sheā€™s a loser. She should be dead. She is jealous of our granddaughter who is 10 months old. She thinks that because my wife watches the baby 2-3 days a week, as our daughter in law is an RN, that we love the baby and not her. She texted our daughter in law over and over again. Our daughter is unmediated. She believes what the voices tell her. She is no good and should die. I am letting go of all this and letting whatever happens to happen. My wife is depressed all the time. It is very difficult to stay positive but I try. Thanks for caring out there we are all in this thing together.

2 Likes

I have great empathy for the challenge of this. Of course your daughter believes the voices because they are 100% real to her and she has no control over that without medication or other treatment and counseling could be helpful. So if she is not med-compliant, have you tried LEAP (ā€œI Am Not Sick; I Donā€™t Need Helpā€)? I have seen it work in my own relationship with my family member. There is no magic cure otherwise.

2 Likes

Yes, @trusting, it is so very hard to stay positive. Be kind to yourself, try to help your wife from her depression with simple loving acts. There is nothing worse in my opinion than living with someone you love who is unmedicated for psychosis.

I found this site one day some time ago by searching for ā€œunmedicated schizopreniaā€ when I badly needed support. I found it here. Keep coming here, keep posting, and try to stay positive that things will work out.

What state are you living in? It is horrible to take his driver license away for his mental illness. It is kind of stop me to put my son into hospital because he is also anti med.

I live in canada. My son has been out of hospital since the end of April. It doesnā€™t look like he will be getting his drivers license back. He has always been a very good driver even when unmedicated never a ticket. This is just not fair. When we put him in the hospital I didnā€™t know that the first thing that they would do is take his license. He has a little house in the country but canā€™t stay there because he has no way of getting around there is no buses there. Does your son live with you.

Yes, he is living with me. We live in USA. I hope they donā€™t take away his license here. Can he able to get his license back in the future?

This is unfair! The illness itself does not affect the ability to drive. Is this the law in Canada? Is it related to medication?

When you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia the doctor has to report it to the ministry of transportation and they donā€™t waste any time to take his license even though he never had any tickets or a sedentary. It doesnā€™t look like he will be getting it back. This is really devastating for my son he really is a good driver even when not medicated. He has no way that he can live at his house without a car. Sometimes I just feel that I canā€™t cope any more.

I donā€™t know right now it doesnā€™t look like it. The doctor filled out the question form they sent but when it came back the result was still no.

Canā€™t believe I just read that from you hopeā€¦ Our daughter does that day in day out particularly more in the nightā€¦
any answers ā€¦ :cry:[quote=ā€œhope, post:25, topic:3152ā€]
After
[/quote]