I hate family member with schizophrenia

People going through this usually are not able to keep up ‘normal’ standards - Pro-actively washing dishes, remembering trash day, using the right fork for salad, etc.

Sufferers are often times preoccupied in thought and feel imprisoned (ie; “Why am I in this existence? I am better than this.” etc ). I would keep reminding him kindly that you could use some help sometimes but I would be careful about reprimanding him too conservatively because he may begin viewing you as 'Yet another person not intellectually capable of understanding and can not see past the nose on their face."

The ongoing lack of empathy demonstrated by most of society is, more or less, what creates the animosity.

If you want some insight into how some SZ’s view their dilemma go and rent the film “Idiocracy.”

I understand you completely. I lived with my schizophrenic brother for quite a while and now looking back at those years I go “Wowww…what a journey! I am definitely a survivor !”

When you are inside a situation like this, it is almost impossible to have a healthy perspective…you get lost in the chaos.You even lose yourself. My first responsibility is to myself,I believe. I talked about what kind of a life I led when I was inside insanity in my previous posts.I was going crazy myself.

I was also alone,couldn’t talk to anyone about what I was really experiencing because I was ashamed and when I talked,it seemed like noone understood me,they couldn’t comprehend the consequences of a serious mental illness.I was like in a jail,I was screaming but noone heard me.

The only help I got was from professionals, doctors. They understood what I was going through.They calmly told me where I was at,explained scientifically etc and also assured me that I had no fault. Because at some point I got so lost that I was asking myself “what am I doing wrong?” They told me it was perfectly normal to get angry in those conditions,any human would do the same,it was perfectly normal to dislike,even hate the ill person-it is still something very difficult to seperate the illness from the person,I don’t understand how to do it. After some time spent outside the unhealthy environment and after you embrace your own self again (and if you don’t go back into the same place of course),hate goes away…you don’t hate anymore,you even begin to be neutral but cautious.

In my opinion,drawing away from the situation is the first thing that needs to be done.I hope you have a chance for that.

1 Like

All your feelings are valid.
You really need to get some support for yourself. No one can do this alone.
Join a local support group. Therapy. Start your own life. It helps to write things down.
Wishing you luck OO

I have been were you are, my family has not accepted my son’s illness, so I am alone. I was told to find hobbies , groups or go for walks. I bet you are doing the best you can. It can be very hard caring for someone with SZ. I have been to numerous therapist one thought I was the one with SZ because of all the stories and delusions my son was having, I had to show her proof of my son’s illness, it was a mess. You are still that nice person, we all have those day’s. Take some time for yourself we all need a ME DAY.

1 Like