My sister is in intensive care with renal failure - bulimia and alcoholism and is still in psychosis

She still refuses psych assessment
She has been improving, but she could still die within a couple of weeks
The doctors know she is crazy but she thinks she is well
She believes she has been poisoned by nytol and paracetamol and doesn’t understand that she only just made it through the night and could die, does not understand the fuss,

I have been encouraged to go to hospital by friends once when I was psychotic usually it was my family though
She has no friends she’s been psychotic for 8 years
So is it up to me?
I am so inept
She has never listened to me

1 Like

@three - I am so sorry to hear about your sister. If the doctors are aware of her psychosis, are they still allowing her to make her own decisions? Do you have any law in the UK that would allow them to place her under involuntary psychiatric care so they can make long term plans for her?

Take care of yourself in the meantime. Dealing with family issues can be so draining. :palm_tree:

1 Like

Thank you
They are going to scan and biopsy her liver
And stomach
And now do an involuntary psych assessment
She has refused yesterday I think
Now they are not going to give her a choice
Maybe it’s never been this bad before
We didn’t know if she would make it
Husband driving me to Therapy and he’s going shopping for us
Ready meals

2 Likes

Best wishes for you all!

1 Like

@Pookey52 Thank you ! X

I am so sorry! Sending positive thoughts for your sister.

1 Like

She doesn’t quite understand what is happening to her
Out of intensive care on to a ward

I am so sorry, I know you have been concerned about your sister’s failing health on many fronts for quite a while. I’m glad you are in the UK. Other families from the UK have written on the forum in the past, that the UK will involuntarily medicate people for mental disorders.

Its so tricky when mental illness clouds the entire picture. It can be so difficult to get our family members timely medical care. So glad your sister is now being taken care of in the hospital, you have been so worried. Did her kidney function recover? Sometimes kidneys will shut down temporarily and fully recover function, hoping on this end that is the case for your sister. Take care three!

1 Like

We still don’t know very much
My mum is waiting for a phone call from someone who assessed her
They don’t know why she is so unwell
But mum can tell them that she has hardly spent time outside a darkened room for 8 years.
And that she has been in alcoholic psychosis etc

1 Like

Update
She is probably a bit better
Not as drowsy and back to angry with people trying to help her
She s had a psych round to her every day nearly and is incensed
Has withdrawn consent to speak to mum, her GP and me
So she wants to discharge herself
Knows she is too unwell
She will be there, if she consents, for at least another week
Because staff are so cagey anyway we were given little information
When she goes home she will most likely drink again and be back in hospital in no time
If it takes a week or 8 years I think it’s all over

Please understand that it’s really a horrible illness
She doesn’t have much of a chance at this stage

I’m relieved to hear that she’s a little better, but overall that is such a sad situation for your family.
I hope there is some chance that they might be able to get her on some medication. She is dealing with so many different issues. She’s lucky to have you and your mother there.

1 Like

My sister has discharged herself from hospital Against medical advice she can’t drink she can’t eat will probably still try to drink alcohol
She said she was another day at home than in hospital… but she believes They are poising her with their food
She said whatever they are doing it isn’t working
She Will probably end up in hospital Or staying with mum
and me Not too far away either
Mum is picking her up from over 220 miles away

So, again, my 77-year-old mother is driving roughly 500 miles in one day with one eye

2 Likes

Our hearts break with your story. Please know that we send our love, thoughts, and prayers your way. Wish we were closer and could help in some way. God bless.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your words @Sando

1 Like

That’s so sad. I don’t think there is much you can do at this point – it is like watching a train crash and you are powerless to stop it. Just support your mum as best you can, and yourself. In terms of your long suffering sister, whatever will be, will be. Best wishes to you all. <3

2 Likes

Hey three. Any updates? I don’t know about you guys but when I’m having a tough time then I remember all of my fellow caregiver-warriors and it gives me strength. (And I believe in JC, and He sustains me!). Any word on your sister?

2 Likes

Hi Sando.
Thank you
Just that she is eating a tiny bit drinking a bit, also no fever
She’s in pain with I think some jaundice and completely wrong stool and emaciated has
She’s afraid after all that
She doesn’t want to suddenly slip into a coma
And refuses any medical treatment
Would rather die on her own on the streets than in hospital
Was paranoid about the nurses and doctors
And thinks they have poisoned her
Awake most of the day, lying down

I’m so sorry - I thought she might improve some… `thinking of you and your family. :palm_tree:

1 Like

Thank you
She was unable to move before
The vitamins and drops took her out of immediate danger