Family and Caregiver Schizophrenia Discussion Forum

Painful and/or burning sensation of feet and legs

My 40 yr old son with 12yr history of paranoid schizophrenia, major depressive disorder, has recently been waking up with painful feet, and legs, and thus has difficulty walking his dog. He is on clozapine, plus other APs, stimulants, and antidepressants. The pain often lasts for hours, and more recently, multiple days. He does not have diabetes. He does have auditory, visual hallucinations…almost daily, could this also be a kind of hallucination. I welcome any feedback. Thank you.

Aside from neuropathy from blood sugar issues, sciatica comes to mind. I had issues with these sorts of sensations around that age. They eventually faded, and I never thought to associate it with my SZA diagnosis.

Have you mentioned this to his psychiatrist? Would your son go to a regular GP for an evaluation (if nothing else than to tell the doctor about the pain he is feeling)?

1 Like

Get this checked out ! ASAP… If he has MTHFR gene mutation. It comes with a blood clotting factor and this pain could be a clot and it needs to be checked out asap with his GP. It could be a DVT… (deep vein Thrombosis) and they are very painful and can be very dangerous.
God bless.

1 Like

Mojoclay hit on some pretty reasonable, and realistic, and EXTREMELY dangerous situations, IMHO. Some meds are known to cause clotting, which if starts in legs and a clot releases and moves to the heart or lungs is usually immediately fatal. Do whatever you can to get your loved one to see the GP, or even consider the ER if they’re willing to go.

1 Like