Today's daily event...a place to share

DianeR, I’m sorry you have to wonder if it is the drug or the sz. Has he had an official diagnosis?

@Mom2 He was diagnosed last June as an undiagnosed psychosis. But he may have been smoking that Spice stuff off and on for a while and those create similar side effects. We’ll get through it one way or another. He was just wacky and it’s really challenging with the “normal” 17 year old in the mix.

Have you called his doctor yet?
Sorry this is happening.

@Jan He doesn’t have a regular psychologist. Won’t take meds. Thinks whatever he is doing is fine and minding his own business. I did find a crisis team that can come to the house and will assess him if necessary. His doc is worthless - didn’t even know that Spice has side effects like sz. I have meds if he is willing ot take them. We’ll see what happens tonight.

Sorry if I missed the info…how old is your son?

@Nebuddy - He is 28. I think we’ll have better luck with him when it is just himself and me as I won’t be telling him to leave certain rooms and I will be able to monitor his behavior better.

1 Like

IDiane, I’m not trying to scare you but a couple of years ago, the psy doc at state hospital told us that she had patients in there that she had no idea how to help. There are so many things on the internet that it is frightening. It might be legal but it isn’t harmless. We are all wise to keep your eyes open.

1 Like

@Mom2 Do you mean because of the Spice? I’ve been reading all about it. Horrible stuff. He has never been in the hospital so it may come to that.

1 Like

I’m going to message you privately about some things I’ve discovered. I don’t want consumers coming on here getting any ideas. Is that okay?

1 Like

@Mom2 Absolutely, please do. Thank you, Diane

2 Likes

Maybe it will be easier with just the two of you. If things don’t improve though, maybe consider some terms of living arrangement such as getting him to visit with a counselor, who could then suggest addressing “other” help (pdoc) and then the needed med compliance.
You’ve probably already tried this through many approaches…I really feel like a general practioner can’t fathom the depth of the situations he’s having and for things to improve…he will need you to get him there (beyond the current doc). Your son probably just doen’t know how “off” things really are.
Hoping for improvement with the household members being reduced. Sorry that part had to change. But it maybe better…time will tell

1 Like

Sometimes I wonder when did I get the one who keeps the family going title. What defining moment did everyone say --we all dump all our problems on her and will pout when someone else’s needs have been determined to be greater. I know I am a bit bossy sometimes, but really, I did not campaign for this job. I love my family. Even with everything that is not ‘normal’ they all are amazing people in one way or another. But couldn’t they have another meeting (because I was sure left out of the first one in which they gave me the title) and at least agree to take a number!!

5 Likes

@thereisalwayshope

Amen😇
The reason dear one is because you are GOOD at it. You can handle it. And they trust and believe in you.

It is very tiring. Please take time for YOU. You have the “number” 1 ticket in line.

And by the way, it’s okay to say…I can’t take that on right now…and I have faith in you, that you have this under control.

Sharing my internal mantra:
“All is well in my world, everything is working out for my highest good. Out of THIS experience…only good will come.
And so it is”

4 Likes

Because you are a woman😊

4 Likes

I would not hesitate to call the crises team if you think he needs it. It would be a good way to get him evaluated by psych team and get him into "the system."
It doesn’t matter if his behavoir is a result of spice or sz. They can figure it out once he is apprriately evaluated at the hospital.
Good luck🌹

1 Like

Yesterday. Was met at the door by an anxious son about the chemical smell when using the rice cooker.

I know what the source was. Something small and plastic fell into it, and got cooked onto the heating element. As it burns away the smell is getting worse.

But apparently, the CIA put it there in order to create the chemical smell which will cause him problems.

I took it home and worked at it with steel wool and got it cleaned off.

6 Likes

You kinda have to “get it” don’t you? It’s so much easier when I understand the delusion.

Yesterday,

our boy woke unexpectedly (not good). He said there was a strange sound that was BAD.

I listened…
yeup…someone left their little dog in the backyard for the day, and the little thing was howling to be let back in.

No biggie…
he heard:

That the creature was a child…no dog…no was suffering. He was suffering. We needed to contact the owners and inform them. We needed to stop this. They needed to stop this…this is bad…he’s suffering…etc.

Basically, the situation was irritating and triggering his anger (something rare for him).

He went back to bed, isolated under his blanket and didn’t join real life until after 4pm.

The same time the neighbors come home.

The dog was sad, but quiet actually. Just hopeful that he’d be let in soon. I’d talk to him throughout the day, and he’d quietly wag his tail. He just wanted to know a human was around.

It’s the SAME, when the neighbors have a party. They sound so cheerful and loving to me…lots of music, good food, joy. Son hears something completely different. When they have their parties…he is NOT okay.

You’d think the headsets would work…but it’s the entire IDEA of the dog, or the noise that is upsetting him. He can go on and on and on and on and on and on and on…you get it.

Only to me though.
To Dad? He’s quiet.
Just explains his isolation is due to “the neighbors and all their noise”.

It’s not that loud…and it’s pleasant.
The dog wasn’t loud.

How can someone go under a blanket for hours?

My daily vent.
Thanks for listening…
who else would care or understand?
This was a BIG DEAL to him…and will continue to be…until it’s the next thing on his irritant list.

1 Like

@Squid
Absolutely it was a BIG deal to him.
Only thing I have found is diversion to adjust the thought process. Wondering if maybe he has some headphones to listen to music - or maybe a set that is connected to a TV? Could help to redirect into his own escape from “his” reality - in a very comforting was. Glad he could find comfort under the covers for a while :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Last week. My son and I went to visit a friend who is getting hospice care for cancer. She died a few days later.

Saturday.
Son: “You know why J died don’t you? Because the CIA wants to mess with me”.
Me: "Oh, honey, no, she was very sick."
Son: “Why do you say things to me that you know aren’t true??”

3 Likes

@Nebuddy - He went to a counselor all Fall of 2016, then to Windhorse (which is an organization that helps people with MIs get work ) he took work ready classes and got a job with them, but after a few times at the job they said they thought he was hallucinating and said he had to go on meds to keep the job. We went to a pdoc and he refused the meds, started isolating after that.

I think you are spot on that he doesn’t know how off he is.

I am going to have this house to myself for 3 -5 months and am going to make it into a rehab situation. I will be able to control the mail we get so he won’t be able to order spice or other drugs from the internet. Boom. Fingers crossed for me - I am hopeful.

4 Likes